Anyone ever hit a deer ?

StoneFly

i have an acquaintance that lost his wife to a deer kill.

She hit the deer on the 403 a number of years ago.... DECAPITATED her.

Her two daughters were in the back seat at the time.... their mom's head landed on the eldest daughters lap....

My friend got the call from the other daughter while they were still in the car !

The girls still struggle with it and have received all kinds of counseling for bereavement and PTSD.

I say,,, let the hunters do their job... cull the herds to manageable numbers in their respective areas of the country.

My deer experience was only fatal to the deer and my 1986 VW GOLF. So I can make jokes about it. Your friends experience is just awful.I can't imagine being involved in that. I wish the family all the best at putting it in the past.

Did your friend get out to see if the bear was ok? lol

Actually the story didn't end there. His car was blocking the right-hand lane of a 4-lane. The dead bear was partly in the passing lane. Two cars clipped it and kept on going. A third car, a Camry, slowed down to almost a stop and then was rear-ended by a Nissan Pathfinder at full speed (driver on a cell phone, apparently). The Pathfinder went end over end. No major injuries but two more vehicles totalled. This all occured in the dark.

Hitting a bear is like hitting a boulder...lower centre of gravity than deer...if you want to hit an ungulate...try hitting a moose....know there is some damage...i dont recommend it though.

Right. If I had to hit something I would pick a bear first and a moose dead last. Hit a moose and you hit the legs. Guess where the body ends up.

Had a deer cross in front of me in Cape Breton while on my motorcycle. It was a single lane gravel road and the deer never touched the ground. It came out of the bush in the air and went into the trees on the other side still airbourne. Probably would have taken the hooves in the helmet if I'd been driving any faster. That's as close as I've come and that was too close.