Shimano Rod Sale @ Canadian Tire

jaysonmarion@gmail.com

my bass pro 7ft medium im6 graphite was $40 as does the job, anyone own a $100+ rod, does it really make a difference?

I have a $39.99 combo from BPS(Mega Tournament rod/reel) That I bought in the combo and I wish I didn't. The reel is smooth but the bail is crap, and the last few times I set the hook the first eye on the rod(biggest) cracks at the base.

Long story short, my other 2 rods one is a older Bob Izumi rod, the other a Rapala TS2(both are over $60 and I am more than happy with the quality. Getting another Bob Rod today. As for the $100+ fishing rods, if your making your living tournament fishing then why not go with higher quality rod's with lifetime warranty's. Tools of the trade right ;) If you were a pro golfer you would try to get the best clubs...not the cheep clubs.

I declare myself as a in-between angler, I fish when ever time is available to fish rather than the occasional fishing.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

There I got my 6'6 Casting Bob Rod, also brought back my 6'7"MH Rapala TS2 in exchange for a 7'MH Spinnerbait/Heavy Cover TS2 casting rod...never even saw that setup on Rapala's site so I will be pleased with the extra inches of everage the Rapala will give me for jig and frog fishing. Going to use the Bob Rod for spinnerbaits, dingers, buzzbaits, maybe jerkbaits...stuff like that, also got 15lb P-Line Fluoroclear fishing line and 30lb Power Pro for the other rod.

Hope some nice reels come on sale around Christmas time!

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Last month, it was the Berkley Lightning rod "Shock" that was on sale for 30 dollars. I bought a 7 foot 2 piece model and went jigging for walleye with it. Great rod too.

As for the garantee....I've never had any problems getting a broken Berkley rod replaced. One rod broke because I twisted it. It was quite old and Berkley sent me a newer model. After 3 years, I sent it back saying that I hated it. They turned around and sent me a Lightning Rod. This was the year that Berkley put the first Lightning rod on the market. The second rod was a Series One 8 foot baitcasting rod that I bought at a fire sale. When I got home, I noticed that the tip was cracked. I sent the tip to Berkley and asked to buy a replacement. They sent me a new rod plus the old tip for free. Now I have an 8 foot rod and a 7 1/2 foot rod...lol.

I have only broken 2 rods while fishing....in my whole life. I've been fishing for close to 60 years. The first rod was over 35 years ago and the other one was last year. It was a Walmart "Renegade" 7 foot spinning rod that I paid 15 dollars (liquidation). However, it was a great rod. I had just lent it to a newbie and I suspect he cracked it on the gunwale of my boat.

The only Shimano "Izumi" rod that the Canadian Tire store in my city had on sale was the 5 1/2 foot Ultra Light. Way too whippy to my liking.

ther ok rods i find them and the rapala ts2 rods heavy and not overly sensitive, but then again after saving my $$ for the last 25 years or so i am spoiled higher end gear, pretty tough to use bob izumi rods when your used to crucial's avid's and legends the chapest rod i own is a rapala type S i use it for frogs with a curado 100 and it's ok but it is still heavier than my legend 7'6 pitchen rod with a shimano core V

Lol, u older guys light the light stuff eh, I find the rods light and never had problems with the past "heavy" rods either. O well, when I get sponsors and become a professional bass fish then I'll spend 100+ on a rod. Until then I'm just out there to catch fish.

btw-those rod u have may be to light, better give them away :P

Lol, u older guys light the light stuff eh, I find the rods light and never had problems with the past "heavy" rods either. O well, when I get sponsors and become a professional bass fish then I'll spend 100+ on a rod. Until then I'm just out there to catch fish.

btw-those rod u have may be to light, better give them away :P

you'll understand when you make 2000 cast in a day it's all about fatigue, I'll even invite you up and let you fish with me there sonny just to see the difference, you'll be gettin an extra job as i did. :P

my first expensive rod was when i was 16 y o my parents near killed me when i bought a berkly bionix 6.6 for $122 from barklays and two weeks later bought a shimano gtx 2200r for 75 but from there i never looked back, I just broke the bionix that i purchased in 1987 when it got slammed by the trolling motor pedal and i have the reel somewhere still works pretty good last time i used it (ok it was around 2000 on the ottawa river but who's counting)

I guess I'm a lot older than you guys then. I remember my dad's steel baitcaster and Ronson level wind reel. Then the solid glass rods came out. They were heavy but you could make a pretty good bow to shoot arrows with those things....lol. However, they were unbreakable. You could bend the tip right down to the handle. Then there were the hollow fiberglass rods which really made rods light....for that period. However, if you bent them too much....the hollow glass collapsed and the rod would break.

Rods today are way lighter but way more fragile. Put a slight ding in them and it's goodby.

You can get a 7 foot medium heavy 1 piece rod that weighs like a feather these days and for a decent price too.

My most expensive rod was a Berkley "Curt Gowdy" fiberglass spinning rod that I paid 80 dollars for in 1978. I think that was close to a week's pay. Today for 80 dollars (if you wait for a rod at a special price) you can get a very nice rod.

I guess I'm a lot older than you guys then. I remember my dad's steel baitcaster and Ronson level wind reel. Then the solid glass rods came out. They were heavy but you could make a pretty good bow to shoot arrows with those things....lol. However, they were unbreakable. You could bend the tip right down to the handle. Then there were the hollow fiberglass rods which really made rods light....for that period. However, if you bent them too much....the hollow glass collapsed and the rod would break.

Rods today are way lighter but way more fragile. Put a slight ding in them and it's goodby.

You can get a 7 foot medium heavy 1 piece rod that weighs like a feather these days and for a decent price too.

My most expensive rod was a Berkley "Curt Gowdy" fiberglass spinning rod that I paid 80 dollars for in 1978. I think that was close to a week's pay. Today for 80 dollars (if you wait for a rod at a special price) you can get a very nice rod.

No kidding. I've got my Dad's old rods still. One is a hex steel 6'(?) with a black string line level winder and it weighs a ton compared to these nice new featherweight thingies.

And I don't care how old or young you are. If you spend 6 or 8 hours casting frogs or plugs from a platform yer gonna hurt. If the gear is user friendly you won't hurt as much. If it's cheap (i.e. heavy & poorly matched) yer gonna hurt. Age only dictates the degree of hurt.

That being said I'm not a happy camper tonite. I just realized that I've lost my favourite rig (Quantum Energy spinning reel on a really nice 5'6 Quantum one-piece rod). It had enough oomph to handle good-sized bass and to throw fairly heavy lures but was light enuf to lug around for hours of wading. I'm gonna miss that one.

JF

That being said I'm not a happy camper tonite. I just realized that I've lost my favourite rig (Quantum Energy spinning reel on a really nice 5'6 Quantum one-piece rod). It had enough oomph to handle good-sized bass and to throw fairly heavy lures but was light enuf to lug around for hours of wading. I'm gonna miss that one.

JF

O know what happened to it??

O know what happened to it??

No idea. I can only think it was left atop the car or on the shoulder of the road when we drove away. I'm generally careful about that but I guess I screwed up that time. Didn't realize it was gone until almost 10 days later.

JF