My New Baitcaster!

jaysonmarion@gmail.com

So I finally made it down to Angling Outfitters in Woodstock, and it was worth the drive.

I got a Quantum Code CD871CX Baitcasting Reel, paired with a Quantum Tour HSX54 6'10 1 Piece Rod.

I am already in love with it. Theres alot of buttons and gadgets on it that I really don't have any idea how to use yet.

The guy there showed me the brake adjusting switch on the side, but I don't really know how to use it.

Does anyone here have this reel? :)

8323_291400260191_644550191_9203606_7063988_n.jpg

8323_291400265191_644550191_9203607_2424399_n.jpg

8323_291400270191_644550191_9203608_6466654_n.jpg

Dude!!! You even bought it with the handle on the correct side!!!... unless you're left handed. :rolleyes:

Looks like you'll really be winching the Red Horse Suckers in on the pink Senkos with that rig!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

lol!

Its not that I try to catch those :)

I'm going up to Rice Lake with an OFC'r next Sunday, and thought it would be a great place to start with it :)

Monster Walleye and Bass and possibly a musky!

I don't have that reel, but the whole rig looks really sweet, and yes, you did buy it with the handle on the correct side! :D

You'll be able to drag almost anything into the boat with the 50 lb line, too!

I'd start with the brakes a little tight till you get used to it. I think your reel comes with a flipping switch; which I've never used, but some guys like them.

I don't have that reel, but the whole rig looks really sweet, and yes, you did buy it with the handle on the correct side! :D

You'll be able to drag almost anything into the boat with the 50 lb line, too!

I'd start with the brakes a little tight till you get used to it. I think your reel comes with a flipping switch; which I've never used, but some guys like them.

Yeah I've started to read some more about all the gadgets. Flipping switch is pretty cool and I think I've got the brakes figured out.

I can't wait until tomorrow when I can get out and field test it in the Grand :)

I'd suggest bringing a few lures that have some weight to them. I'm not saying you can't throw Senkos on a Baitcasting set-up (although I think I prefer spinning tackle for them) but on your first outing with it you might find it a little tough/frustrating. Bring a few spinnerbaits or something....Bass and musky both like spinnerbaits.

I'd suggest bringing a few lures that have some weight to them. I'm not saying you can't throw Senkos on a Baitcasting set-up (although I think I prefer spinning tackle for them) but on your first outing with it you might find it a little tough/frustrating. Bring a few spinnerbaits or something....Bass and musky both like spinnerbaits.

SOLID advice

maybe some sinking body baits as well ...canadian wigglers / rattlin raps

Edited by Twocoda

I agree :)

I'm still using my spinning setups for jigging and stuffs :)

set ur brake to about the 3rd setting and leave it there. adjust ur spool tension so whatever lure u have on slowly falls to the floor and stop when it touches down. that rod is a heavy action rod designed for pitchin, its a nice line of rods, i have a few of those rods in various actions. it'll work good for some big spinnerbaits and jigs, throw white spinners, and black/blue jigs

:)

I took it out down to the Pier under the Skyway yesterday, and I'm glad I tried it out before heading up to Rice!.

I got a few pretty large backlashes that I eventually decided to just cut the line.

After awhile though, I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I very much prefer it over my spinning rods now :)

The spool bearings on new reels often need a drop of oil.

I like Hot Sauce, but any good reel oil will do.

Open the reel up and clean the brake drum, if it has centrifical brakes.

The reels sometimes have too much grease inside them when they are shipped from the Orient.

Lighter fluid is a good cleaning fluid, use it on a Q-Tip to remove excess grease and oil.

Garry2rs