The one that got away...Musky??

jaydub

Well, I decided to head up to Buckhorn on Saturday and Sunday with the fam to help out my father-in-law on his cottage again.

Saturday evening, after a beautiful sunset, bonfire and all the kiddos went to bed I decided to throw some topwater off the dock.

May1_Sept7_2009_194.JPG

May1_Sept7_2009_177_C.JPG

There's a small island just out of casting range with a nice big rocky shoal off the point...I'm thinking Musky! I know there in this lake but so far all I have been able to get are buckets, smallies, perch, pumpkins and a few rocks. It's about 10:30pm, no moon, tons of stars and very dark. I put on my favorite wake bate and start casting. I get about 4 bites in the first 10 casts but just can't seem to set the hook :mellow: Then wammo, I hear the blowup...wait...set the hook and YES! I start reeling, pulling, reeling, pulling, tighten the drag as this thing is getting farther away instead of closer. My heart is justa pounding and all I can think is I FINALLY got my musky and...I can't wait to show Cudz. lol I yell to my father-in-law (still sitting around the fire) to get his camera cuz I got a big one! Then it hits me...I didn't put a leader on (I guess I didn't really expect to get the musky) :oops: . I keep fighting it for about 15 seconds but then...I lose it :o:angry::devil: . I reel in my line expecting to have lost one of my favorite lures, but nope it's still there! My father-in-law arrives with the camera only to find me pissed, but still shaking from excitement but with no Musky.

I keep fishing for an hour or so hoping there's another big one out there but knowing there ain't no way the same one's gonna bite again. I end up catching a few nice buckets and one smallie (sorry, no pics as everything was disappointing at that point). I call it a night at about 11:30 to try and get some sleep and give it another shot in the morning.

I get up at 5:30, on the water at 6:00 but don't go too far off shore as the fog is crazy thick and I got no GPS in the 14' tin. I decide to cast the same point only from the water this time. Second cast I get another nice smallie and I'm thinking it's going to be a good few hours....NOT. The fog lets up around 7:45 so I decide to go across to another island for some bucket action on the scum frog.

may1_sept7_2009_167_c1.jpg

Somebody takes a picture of me.

8:30 rolls around and that smallie at 6:05 was still the only bite of the morning. :dunno: I decide to head in and get back to taping the drywall...yeah!!

We decide to quit working around 5pm so I can fish with the kids off the dock for a while before heading home. They definitely had better luck than me!

May1_Sept7_2009_265_c.JPG

Well, at the end of this weekend all I could think about was "the one that got away". I'm heading up near Perry Sound this coming weekend for a fishing trip with some buddies! Won't get any Muskys but maybe, just maybe a 40" Pike...oh ya and my first nickle!

Edited by jaydub

Way to go, Jaydub...sure is tough to get that awful memory out of your head...but from the pics it looks like a good weekend :D Thanks for sharing!

Was a good weekend forsure but I'm really looking forward to this weekend...nothin but fishing!

Man, what a feeling eh. Not sure if you read my sad story about topwater musky but he took mybait, did the same as you and did some casting afterwards but nothing was around :(.....not much can be done.

LOL Ya, I read your post about 10 minutes after posting this and had a good laugh. At least I still got my lure!

Great report and pics Jay :thumbsup_anim:

Sorry to hear that it got away :( but on a positive note.... you know where it lives.... you'll get'em next time :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

Hopefully, I know one of the neighbours caught a 45"er in that same spot in the middle of August...maybe the same one...

Edited by jaydub