Making History For A Great Cause

TJQ

I got this today and thought I would share it!!

Port Perry, Ontario (September 21, 2009) – Professional angler and host of Facts of Fishing THE SHOW® Dave Mercer has made the Major League Baseball (MLB) history books. On September 21st at 7:00pm Dave became the first person in the history of the league to "cast" (with rod and reel) the opening pitch, kicking off the game between the Toronto Blue Jays® and Baltimore Orioles.

The historic cast took place at the Rogers Center® in downtown Toronto, and created an excellent opportunity to raise money for a great cause. In conjunction with the Blue Jays a "Facts of Fishing" section of seats was created where $5 from every ticket sold was donated by the Jays to Dave Mercer's Casting for a Cure charity benefiting the Canadian Cancer Society. Casting for a Cure was created by Mr. Mercer in honour of his late mother, Ann Mercer who lost her battle with cancer and has since raised over $100,000 for cancer research.

Not the first place one would expect to see a "cast", Dave continues to be a great ambassador for the sport of fishing. By putting the sport in front of mainstream audiences such as those watching the game Dave has been able to introduce new people to the sport who otherwise would never have given it a chance. Dave stated, "My most vivid memories from my childhood were the times spent with family in the boat. So many people never get the opportunity to experience all the things this great sport has to offer. My goal is always to get one more person out there to give it a try.

openingcast.jpg

openingcast1.jpg