Best day fishing ever and I got skunked

Paudash

Went out to Sturgeon today with my 14 year old son and what a day. The weather was perfect and we figured we would try a lake we have never fished before. He started off with a 3 1/2 LM which is always a good day on its own. An hour later he yells he has another one. When I turned around I see this 40+ in ski come flying out of the water. After a good fight might of been 5 mins might have been 15 not sure but it was great watching him work this thing with 8lb test. When he got it to the side of the boat I went to net then the fun began, the net was way to small for this fish. I tried to get her from the front no luck then I tried from the back and she took off under the boat and the line got caught up and snaped.

Now my question is does this still count because we did not not have the right net or the experience for a fish this big.

The best part was when I got got home my wife asked if I was jealous because I have never got a fish like that before. I thought for a second and said nope but it may have been the best day fishing ever :rolleyes:

The only thing I got was a little perch

I've noticed a lot of the musky fishers on here count the number of "follows" they have and us carpers count the number of hook-pullouts we get so your experience counts for sumpin' if only to you...ie: I went 3 for 4 last week, 0 for 1 this morning... ;)

Then again, like our buddy Meely sez, if you don't get it in the boat, it's only a story...

But, a helluva good story... :Gonefishing:

Edited by Beans

forget the nets when musky fishing (unless you're fishing alone)... if you've ever used a cradle you'll know what i mean. the fish stays perfectly still once in the cradle... in a big net, not so much... they thrash around so much that is can be difficult to release the fish afterwards.

$59 on a "fin saver" net, or $45-$55 on a cradle... I say get the cradle... plus it doesn't take up any space in the boat. just roll it up and stick in off to the side until needed.