Outboard motor part price question

Syn

I just checked my Visa bill and I was charged almost $800 for a Yamaha outboard motor 9.8HP Top cowling.

I'm flabbergasted and I called a few boat part stores to get a part quote but they are closed now. I'll call again on Monday.

I thought I would check with some of you guys to get an indication if that is anywhere near the correct price.

I'm going to have the repair part invoice sent to me so I'm sorry I don't have the year of the motor or the exact part number yet.

Huh? What? Im curious as to how there was $800 dollars onyour Visa and you didnt know about it? Dont you look at the bill before you hand over the card? Just wondering.

Not quite Gordy. Had a boat rental out less than a month ago. Cowling flew off while hitting some rough waves and wind (it was loose on a previous outing same boat rental a few weeks before that). My buddy and I never checked for looseness or even imagined it was loose enough to fly off (or I would have duct taped it up).

One of the young guys who gets the boat ready for us knew it was loose admitted after we brought the boat back. I wonder if the there is a clip on the front of the motor that was missing. Can't imagine how it would just fly off otherwise.

The same guys at the marina said probably less than $100 to replace. I said ok fair enough. Checked today and even called the marina, they still want $800.

Not quite Gordy. Had a boat rental out less than a month ago. Cowling flew off while hitting some rough waves and wind (it was loose on a previous outing same boat rental a few weeks before that). My buddy and I never checked for looseness or even imagined it was loose enough to fly off (or I would have duct taped it up).

One of the young guys who gets the boat ready for us knew it was loose admitted after we brought the boat back. I wonder if the there is a clip on the front of the motor that was missing. Can't imagine how it would just fly off otherwise.

The same guys at the marina said probably less than $100 to replace. I said ok fair enough. Checked today and even called the marina, they still want $800.

My cowling is lined with foam and should float, no?.. since it was a 9.8 I would reckon it was a tiller and you should've noticed right off that it was gone!... I would squawk, and pitch a fit for $800!!!... you can buy a whole new used motor for that fricken amount!!!

Well, OK, they admitted they knew about the loose cowling, and let you rent it anyway. There is no way you should have to pay for that. They knew there was a problem and didnt fix it. Why should you have to pay? Thats crazy. :angry:

That's exactly what my fishing buddy who came on the trip with me said. I wanted to do the noble thing and take responsibility for the repair because I was the boat rentee. Marina operator manager is denying that the cowling was loose. The problem is she has all the paperwork that I signed that the boat and motor is in perfect condition so I'm on the hook for any repairs if I go to smalls claims court.

I did not think to check if I could pry off the cowling before heading out. Obviously the guy I talked to at the marina who got our boat ready is not likely to admit anything to his boss now. This story is also a good warning to boat renters.

All I think I can do now is to get real part quote from marinas and try to dispute the charge if she indeed is overcharging.

My cowling is lined with foam and should float, no?.. since it was a 9.8 I would reckon it was a tiller and you should've noticed right off that it was gone!... I would Beech, squawk, and pitch a fit for $800!!!... you can buy a whole new used motor fricken amount!!!

The lost cowling sank like a rock and we were wondering while they don't make them float. I was tempted to dive in for it but the water was rough and very windy. Yep I hear a loud quick sucking sound while going over some waves and I looked back and the cowling was off.

The lost cowling sank like a rock and we were wondering while they don't make them float. I was tempted to dive in for it but the water was rough and very windy. Yep I hear a loud quick sucking sound while going over some waves and I looked back and the cowling was off.

I'd have Tarzaned that thing like an old Johnny Weissmuller movie!!!... leather loincloth and hunting knife clenched between the teeth for $800

It looks to me like you're already screwed!!!... they've prolly ordered another cowl and you'll have to pay what they want... I'll bet the next time you rent you'll check for a loose cowling eh!??? :rolleyes:

$800 bucks for a cowling is robbery. Unbelievable how some people would take advantage of a situation like this. Maybe theyd change their mind if they were mentioned in a certain site as being a bunch of crooks. Maybe, they would loose more than $800 bucks of buisness. What do you think?

That sounds very fishy. Is there by chance anything we are not being told?

Had to ask.

I like the post about letting VISA deal with it. I would get a quote for a replacement one from any where (ebay etc.) to help the VISA types.

I would also be finding out what it would cost to have a lawyer (a friend perhaps for free) give them a quick phone call or letter.

Then I would start naming names on a popular fishing site on which someone might have personal knowledge of the repute of said marina.

Good luck!

Jim

$800 bucks for a cowling is robbery. Unbelievable how some people would take advantage of a situation like this. Maybe theyd change their mind if they were mentioned in a certain site as being a bunch of crooks. Maybe, they would loose more than $800 bucks of buisness. What do you think?

I won't mention any marina name until I can (hopefully) prove that the top cowling does not cost $800 by getting actual price quotes from boat motor store or if any of you guys work in parts and know of the price once I get the part number.

If in fact the top cowling turns out to be significantly cheaper I'll post the marina name with OFC site admins permission as a public service to warn others to help them avoid the same trap.

If the top cowling is $800 from multiple quotes then I'll have to keep quiet and not post the marina name in the public forum and pay up.

I'll tell the marina name to those who want to PM me though. I would not want other to get into the same situation as I am in now.

That sounds very fishy. Is there by chance anything we are not being told?

Had to ask.

I like the post about letting VISA deal with it. I would get a quote for a replacement one from any where (ebay etc.) to help the VISA types.

I would also be finding out what it would cost to have a lawyer (a friend perhaps for free) give them a quick phone call or letter.

Then I would start naming names on a popular fishing site on which someone might have personal knowledge of the repute of said marina.

Good luck!

Jim

Feel free to ask anything, I told the marina operator I enjoyed her service in the few times we went there this year, and it breaks my heart to have to never go there again for fear of huge visa bills.

The service there was relaxed, the guys just fill up the boat with gas and we're off. Had I thought the whole plastic cover had the possibility of flying off I would not taken the boat out especially now that they are charging me $800.

I can't see there being a labour charge for installing the top cowling? So unless I see the parts invoice I won't know for sure if they decided to fix anything else on the motor. We returned it in perfect working condition. Only the top cowling was missing.

oh I contacted Visa tonight and they have opened a dispute but all they do is get a bill and look at it and then decide in 45 days if the bill is valid. What they won't do is investigate it as a possible fraud investigation. They told me to fax them any quotes to back up any proof if I am being overcharged for the part. Visa rep said things like witnesses and what the marina guy said about the cowling being already loose is dealt with small claims court not Visa. All Visa wants is the money they don't care who's screwing who as long as its not them.

Guest skeeter99
thats about right ,we damaged a customers 115 Yamaha 4 stroke cowl 4 yrs ago it was a tad over 1200.00 all decaled up

well you got robbed to then LOL!!!!!

at 200 vmax cover brand new from yamaha is only $375

that 9.9 is $50 to $75 brand new not even used

Yep, you got screwed good. Hope it was worth the price!

Just started a Google search and found this: Yamaha parts

I don't think the renter is the one that gave it to you, it's more likely Yamaha parts that is enjoying their time with you. I just looked up one upper cowling and it was expensive. You may have to bight the big one and pay up, after all you admitted that all was OK with the rental package before you set out.

Same goes for car rentals, go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure imperfections are noted and signed before accepting it. That said, who would think of checking the motor cover for a secure fit? A lesson to be learned by all of us, even if it's our own outboard, do a check list before winding her up.

I hope you fare well with this.

Just looked up a cowl for a 9.9merc, $560 w/o decals, probably another $100 for decals and then labour to install them. I'm afraid that $800 is reasonable, since Yamaha parts are always more money.

Hmm?... how did I find a yammy cowling with everything for $272.29? and it was just the first one I looked at!

well you got robbed to then LOL!!!!!

at 200 vmax cover brand new from yamaha is only $375

that 9.9 is $50 to $75 brand new not even used

hu huh u duhhhhh show me where your getting a cover for 375.00 maybe the canvas cover that protects the paint,you think the marinas gonna shop around its a call to the Yamaha dealer and a cover is ordered,you lost it ya gotta pay for it

hu huh u duhhhhh show me where your getting a cover for 375.00 maybe the canvas cover that protects the paint,you think the marinas gonna shop around its a call to the Yamaha dealer and a cover is ordered,you lost it ya gotta pay for it

Here's one for $272.29

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp/AsplI...ier-110-050-YAM