Question About Bucktails

solopaddler

"Myself if the weeds are higher and I don't want to burn a single buck in, I've always just used a lighter spinner with a larger blade."

That will work also , as Raf said baits are just tools , if you put A shiny fishy looking thing in front of a hungry fish IT WILL BITE IT , the trick is to get that bait (shiney thing) in front of or at least near enough for a fish to see it . So its no good to use a heavey single in shallow weeds because you will just be pulling weeds off your bait all day , no matter thats its the lure you caught your biggest fish on . Same as with a shallow running double in deep weeds hard to get the bait down in front of the fish . IF I had alot of big bladed light singles I would do as you do , but for me I just load three rods , one with a large body bait for trolling , one with a big heavey single (big because in the St Law. where I fish most, we get hammer handles bothering you if you go smaller , still get some on big but not as many)and A big double on the last. I choose the number of blades for depth mainly , if you can adjust your depth by size of blade and weight , so be it , my point is you have to get the bait in front of the fish , what bait it is ????? I leave to the fish scientists.been guideing for over thirty years and I have not as yet found any magic baits , when bite was good I have caught fish on just about anything on the boat we could put a hook on to that made a flash in the water ..

Bottom spinner, only the front 2 would spin

Maybe the front two spinners are making so much water turbulence that the back blades can't catch enough water to spin?

or maybe the top two spinners when spinning are pressing the brass beads rearwards and this creates too much friction on the clevises of the back two spinners preventing them from spinning freely. Try soldering in place (or wedging a wood sliver) in the brass bead hole just above the rear two clevises so that there is some space between the rear clevis and the brass bead just above it.

Edited by Syn

I guess I can only speak of personal experience, but my big fish catch rate between me and my buddies has gone up almost 400% since we started throwing these things. Now, that will probably slow down once the fish get used to these baits, but right now they're hot and I'm gonna keep throwin' them till my arms fall off! And by big fish I mean over 45 inches, which I consider big for teh kawwarthas. All those big name guides and pros don't throw them because they catch the same as the smaller blades, they make a living catching muskies and it's pretty hard to find another guide other than marc thorpe that doesn't believe in them, no offence Mark, as I wish I knew half as much about muskies as you, but most guides always have atleast one guy chucking these double 10's in their boat. And I'm guessing a lot of your fishing on the ottawa river is trolling to right?

Edited by Daryl Cameron

I guess I can only speak of personal experience, but my big fish catch rate between me and my buddies has gone up almost 400% since we started throwing these things. Now, that will probably slow down once the fish get used to these baits, but right now they're hot and I'm gonna keep throwin' them till my arms fall off! And by big fish I mean over 45 inches, which I consider big for teh kawwarthas. All those big name guides and pros don't throw them because they catch the same as the smaller blades, they make a living catching muskies and it's pretty to find another guide other than marc thorpe that doesn't believe in them.

It's hard to argue with statement.

I guess I can only speak of personal experience, but my big fish catch rate between me and my buddies has gone up almost 400% since we started throwing these things. Now, that will probably slow down once the fish get used to these baits, but right now they're hot and I'm gonna keep throwin' them till my arms fall off! And by big fish I mean over 45 inches, which I consider big for teh kawwarthas. All those big name guides and pros don't throw them because they catch the same as the smaller blades, they make a living catching muskies and it's pretty hard to find another guide other than marc thorpe that doesn't believe in them, no offence Mark, as I wish I knew half as much about muskies as you, but most guides always have atleast one guy chucking these double 10's in their boat. And I'm guessing a lot of your fishing on the ottawa river is trolling to right?

Ummm yes, you make a good point. :D

I'm guessing a lot of your fishing on the ottawa river is trolling to right?

Nope,I always find funny how some know more about my business than I do,No I did not take it wrong

Its just funny

Re-read my post ,you will see I was using # 10 before Cow girls existed,made em myself with single #10 for specific use and purpose

We used doubles also,ratio from doubles to singles was the same,same goes for #8

I was using them before they ever became popular

like I said ,if it makes you happy use em

Look on the bright side,you might end up having Swarthy ,Chiseled features like I do bwahahahahaha

tell me how good they are 2 years from now

Muskies ate Deer 30 years ago and will eat Deer 30 years from now with #8 blades

I will tell you # 8 blades with a deer rear end will still be good 30 years from now :)

Like I said,its whats used the most that catches the most,after some 20 years I have come the conclusion if it makes you happy use it and if it moves its food

Now if ya want to start a discussion about vibration and noise and how fish get condition to it and learn avoidance,then you will understand where I am coming from

You will most probably learn it in 2 years from now :)

There will always be some that will still bite on them but you will see the avoidance begin to settle in

so go buy all the # 10 you can and start Chucking hahahahahahha

TonyB,I think you know where I am coming from ;)

Edited by marc thorpe