Salmon running?

wask

It's funny how here in Ontario we bash dudes for fishing the fall Salmon run in the rivers but in B.C and Alaska it's a freaking Bonaza when the Salmon run starts. In the Kenia river people pay thousands of $$$$$$ to fish the king run, yet here in Ontario we bash dudes for enjoying the fresh run of kings. I will agree that when the fish start growing fungus and turning black it's time to leave them alone, but there's nothing wrong with getting out there and enjoying the run right now as they enter the tribs.I have fun throwing glows off piers and even floating big chunks of skien for chinnies this time of year, the fight right now is amazing with these fresh run fish. The Salmon are stocked for the sole pupose of being caught and providing a sport to anglers thats why there here. Anyway it gives me something to do before I start with the trout fishing.

I agree 100% ... and yet out east folks pay upwards of $1000 /day for the privelege and must have a guide and then they still have a limit of 1 C & R salmon ... we really ought to pay a little more respect to our wonderful salmon fishery we have here in Eastern Ontario ... by the way the fresh run silvers are VERY good eating ... personally I miss the coho runs ... I thought they were fiestier and made for better table fare

wow touchy subject!

Yes it is ...although there is no rule against it "the rule of thumb" should be ( when it comes to salmon and rainbow) if the skin is dark and the meat is white.....it aint right .

This is only my first season being on this board for the salmon run..does this subject seem to repeat itself year after year? Just curious

I agree 100% ... and yet out east folks pay upwards of $1000 /day for the privelege and must have a guide and then they still have a limit of 1 C & R salmon ... we really ought to pay a little more respect to our wonderful salmon fishery we have here in Eastern Ontario ... by the way the fresh run silvers are VERY good eating ... personally I miss the coho runs ... I thought they were fiestier and made for better table fare

I couldn't agree more the coho were a spectacular salmon to catch,hard fighters, acrobatic and just a fun fish. There also 100x nicer for the table, we still get a few in the spring and summer off the Niagara thanks to our American friends.

Guest gbfisher
Roy, from the looks of your Avtar....you are a troller. Throw a bait on a rope and drive around hoping something bites....now THATS fishing!

There's no hoping!!.... :thumbsup_anim: ..takes a true fisherman to know that though... :jerry: