bought a Sportspal canoe for $50.00 ( Updated with a ?)

splashhopper

My buddy rigged his own motor mount for his Sportspal. He used stainless steel and wood for it and it is removable by pulling two pins. This is the only pic I could find to show it.

shipsm.jpg

Here is the same boat (side view) with a 240lb guy at the back and a 180lb guy in the front.

shipships.jpg

With the battery, motor, fishing gear and the lunch they brought, that boat is pretty close to carrying 500lbs in this pic.

Edited by jediangler

I hooked up my Motorguide 36 lb thrust on the side of it...creates quite the wake....

the only problem is that it sits too close to the canoe the way I had it rigged...

I need to sort out an arm off the side of some sorts....

Hoping Dabluz has a photo or some one else does that has a side mounted trolling motor on their canoe...

We were a little pressed for space this am on it so we decided to paddle B)

i sure wished i had the trolling motor on it in the wind on the way back... ;)

Sorry....I have no photo right now but I can get you one for tomorrow night.

I use the original motor mount that comes with the Sportspal canoe. I'm very sure you can buy one anywhere Sportspals are sold. It's clamped in place with and tightened with wing nuts.

You will find that a 30 lb thrust electric motor is too fast for trolling....even at the lowest speed setting.

My 9 lb thrust was a bit too fast too. I sold it for 50 bucks and bought a new 32 lb thrust motor for 60 bucks. I regret selling the old 9 lb thrust but the 32 lb thrust is perfect for my 12 foot aluminum boat.

Yes, the 11 foot Sportspal has very limited space so you really have to skimp on what equipement you want to take aboard.....especially with a partner.

Here where I live, there are very few large bodies of water....it's all small lakes and ponds and 99% of the fishing is for brook trout. Everybody up here has a canoe. I never see any 11 foot Sportspals anymore. The 14 foot (actually less than 14 feet) weighs about 10 lbs more. When I bought my Sportspal, the square back version had not yet been invented but I don't regret it. The square back version is a bit shorter and heavier and you still have the motor directly behind you.

I remember that for the first few years, Sportspal canoes in my region were rare. People's eyes really popped out when they saw me lift the canoe directly off the ground and walk with the canoe with upraised arms.

For portaging the 11 foot Sportspal, there is a way to cross the oars so they act as a yoke that fits on your shoulders. I even remember that each of the oars had a small hole so that they could be bolted together while they are fitted tight inside the canoe when portaging.

I used to do a lot of portaging but not as much these last few years.....I'm 62. But 10 years ago, it was nothing for me to portage for 8 to 10 hours to get to some remote lakes and spend the night camping and then coming back out the next day. I could carry everything I needed and not have to go back and forth carrying equipement overland. However, there was no question of me bringing back any added weight.....like fish. I used 2 paddles tied lengthwise inside the canoe to form a yoke. The rod cases could be tied inside the canoe and bulky items like extra clothes and sleeping bag could be stuffed into the compartments at each end of the canoe.

The Sportspal canoe is a Canadian invention. I remember my dad buying an 11 foot Sportspal when I was a kid. He paid 119 dollars for it. I think that the 14 foot model did not exist then. It had a darker bark colour and I think that the aluminum was 1 piece....therefore no leaks. I'm pretty sure there was no keel either. Not much fun to paddle alone and that's why there were oars. You pushed forward when using the oars.

My buddy rigged his own motor mount for his Sportspal. He used stainless steel and wood for it and it is removable by pulling two pins. This is the only pic I could find to show it.

shipsm.jpg

Here is the same boat (side view) with a 240lb guy at the back and a 180lb guy in the front.

shipships.jpg

With the battery, motor, fishing gear and the lunch they brought, that boat is pretty close to carrying 500lbs in this pic.

Do u think your buddy could send me some instructions via email to make that motormount?

Pm me if he can....

Thanks

Splashhopper

How much weight can the canoe hold... one of my buddies is built the size of Shrek... and kinda talks like him too!

Sheesh, I am not THAT big, maybe 250lbs. Its more my height that will be the issue...........

And don't worry, if you fall in, I won't let you drown donkey ;)

Did you happen to get it from Owen Sound?

Nope... locally...

I sent an email to his store and a clerk called me back saying they didn't have any... a couple hours later the owner of the store called me and said he had one collecting dust in the back room... the clerk didn't know about it I guess ....

I am picking it up on Thursday...

I doubt you could even make one at that price. (What does OEM mean?)

Original Equipment Manufacturer

holy good deal! I just stopped at some guy's house on the way home from work because he had a small canoe (aluminum) for sale for 50.00. Thing was a total piece of crap, looks like it bounced around on the freeway for an afternoon, actually quite funny how crushed and crumpled it was...either way I was going to buy it because what can you get for 50? Apparently a sportspal, I better check kijiji before I buy the smashed up popcan canoe