Simcoe this morning. Got a 5.3 pounder but....

Cudz

I do appreciate Simcoe and the size of the smallies there but I really need to catch a 5 pound largie. I am not bored of catching big smallies, I just need to change it up and catch a big largie (I should actually go out target them). They seem so much more significant than a 5 pound smallie. Ok enough complaining about catching big smallmouth.

Here is the what happened this morning.

Got up early because I knew I only had a few hours to fish. Went alone but I almost posted here late last night to see if anyone wanted to come. I got to one of my spots and the amount of fish I was markig was insame. I even turned the sensitivity way down but the screen was still covered with fish. Big balls of baitfish and they were always surrounded by big fish. They were feeding but it was really hard to get the to bite. I was trying everything from tubes to drop shots, to crankbaits but only managed one small one. There were little minnows jumping all around and huge carp jumping right out of the water all over the place.

After having very little luck there I left there and went to a second spot.

The second spot started producing some really good perch of a deep diving crankbait in 21' of water. I took three 12" perch home for a snack.

It was the second spot that also produced my 2 biggest bass of the day. Both came on the crankbait, one was in 14' of wter and the other in 21' of water.

The second fish was the biggest smallie I have ever caught on a crankbait. I have caught bigger smallies but never on a crankbait.

Here are the pics

Lots of fish but very few takers this morning.

sept121.jpg

sept122.jpg

Some really nice perch from 20' of water.

sept123.jpg

Nice smallie. Great fight, jumped many times, barely hooked

sept124.jpg

Big smallmouth. Was very fat (pics don't do it justice). Stayed deep the whole time, no jumps. 5.30 pounds. Good fish.

sept125.jpg

i'm heading out in the morning myself on Simcoe. I will going out of Alcona, looks like I should stay in the 15 -20ft range. So nothing on tubes?

btw, 5lb largies are possible in cooks bay this time of year.......and i know what you mean by wanting to change it up once in a while.

Almost? Hell man,give a pm.Your spots are safe.I myself dont mind sharing mine.It,s all about the fish.

Nice perch and smallies.

Sorry Man

Only found out I was going solo after midnight and I was leaving the house at 5am. Did not give me much of a window to get a fill in.

Hey Cudz,

if you want to catch a 5lb largies why are you fishing the same water you would fish for smallies ?

get on those docks and and throw a jig or work the slop if you want largies.......

RR

I am not fishing for largies.

Here is the problem. I fish for smallies because I know where they are and I know I will be successful. I have very limited fishing time so I go where I know I can catch quality fish. I have a few spots for largies but they are farther away from where I live and there are lots of 1-2 pounders but no real hogs.

I know how to catch largies and whenever I have a chance I do catch them. I was planning to go fish largies but my fishing partner bailed on me so I went to my old stomping grounds. If I have 4 hours to fish and that includes travel time, I am going to go where I know I can catch fish.

I guess I should have complained about fishing time rather than not catching big largemouthes.