lower buckhorn boat ramp and dockage

smally21

so i rented this cottage on the mississauga river about 1km from buckhorn. river was navigable in my 18' stratos but BARELY. did it a couple times and decided not worth it and decided to find a spot at the local marina or resort for the week. so this casey fella at sunrise resort moves a bunch of boats to make room for me last minute, gives me a great spot and then proceeds to charge me peanuts for the week. so just a good word for this guy helped me out use his ramp if you're up that way its only 10 bucks.

You would think so, BillyBob, but...$10 in (Ontario) cottage country is a bargain! Was up at a completely out of the way little lake a couple weeks back, one little trailer park on the lake and a few cottages...buddy wanted $30 to launch...which is expected for the big waterways.

Thanks for the tip smally21....how was the fishing?

Thats awsome he helped ya out !!!

$30 to launch ???????????????? Holy crap !

I dont pay a thing if I launch at my usuall spot... but then I have to motor across the bay which takes about 10 mins in my boat.... or I could launch across the bay and pay $5 on one side of the marina.... or theres another launch right across the marina and I would pay $13 hahah The 2 launches are literally ACROSS from each other in the marina... ones 5 bucks and the other over double that ! The great thing is... on busy weekends... the more expensive launch in the one thats always backed up. I remember on weekend... there was probably 15 people waiting to launch.... we pulled around to the other side and dropped right in !

i,m not interested in hearing what a sucker i am for paying for a boat ramp. the posting is about a guy helping me out and now you are accusing him of robbing me. what a bunch of tighwads! pay to play - and if you want to moan about ramp fees start your own thread, leave mine alone. ive fished 54 times from 36 boat ramps this year,and spent 10 years in the marine transport business. im well aware of the cost of a boat launch in ontario, and of the enormous cost involved in running a marina and owning lakefront property.

-

I hope your not directing that towards me.... I said it was great he helped ya out

I also commented that $30 to launch a boat is ridiculous ! If you dont agree with me.....then I wish I had your bank account !

ONLY $10 to launch your boat....... :o I am guessing you get a lunch with this launch...Right.... :rolleyes:

It nice to hear you found someone to tend to your needs but $10 for to launch your boat IMHO is waterway robbery.... :angry:

is this not what you said? i offered a nice guy some props and you accuse him of robbing me?

anyhow i shouldn't be namecalling just wasn't the response i expected. ive edited the post with apologies.

Edited by smally21

so i rented this cottage on the mississauga river about 1km from buckhorn. river was navigable in my 18' stratos but BARELY. did it a couple times and decided not worth it and decided to find a spot at the local marina or resort for the week. so this casey fella at sunrise resort moves a bunch of boats to make room for me last minute, gives me a great spot and then proceeds to charge me peanuts for the week. so just a good word for this guy helped me out use his ramp if you're up that way its only 10 bucks.

Thanks for the tip.

I know that the thread is not about debating the cost of doing business but 10 bucks is more than fair.

Jim

So I have to ask......is there no FREE boat launches on these lakes as in access sites or parks with boat launches. We have pretty much free launches on just about every lake in NY or at least State Parks with boat launches. But in the event you must pay to launch here it's only $5- $7.

Isn't this where some of the fishing license money should be going ? In NYS it does.

As far as I'm concerned, $10.00 is a small price to pay for a launch that will get your boat in and out without problems. All it would take is one small scrape or ding on the boat or trailer at a less than adequate launch and I'd curse myself for not spending the $10.00.

I do not know of a public free launch on Lower Buckhorn. The two I've always used a marina in Deer Bay and Sunrise Resort are fee-based and not a rip off as at least the ramps are somewhat maintained. Have used a few "free" ramps in my time and the damage to the trailer and inconvenience factor make the $10 well worth it.

The guy at Sunrise is a great fellow. Very friendly and helpful. Would recommend that ramp to anyone.