Bottom Bouncer sinkers

Dara

and why.

I mean the ones cast on the spring thing.

They come with a snap swivel at one end, and a curled eye in the centre, then the weight and a wire poking out.

I have always attached a 3 way to the snap swivel one eye to my line, and a worm harness (long one) to the thrd eye.

I am seeing people attaching their line to the eye in the centre and the harness to the snap swivel.

Whats the proper way?

PS. I have been outfishing these guys 4 to one :D

Guest gbfisher

What ever works for you. You seem to have it figured out. The way others do it might help you with the feel of the bottom. Mud , rock or weed.

There's a few variables though that make different rigs better than the next.

I attach my mainline to the "curled eye". Then to the snapswivel attach a length of mono/fluoro of weaker test than the mainline...usually 24" to 48", then to that attach my bait/lure/offering. Usually, the length of the leader depends on how far above the bottom you want your bait.

Roy and DH have them figured out the same way I do. Tie directly onto the wire eye with your main line. I always tie up a number of different bait lines ahead of time using various line strengths, types and lengths with different hooks or harnesses. Also I tie an additional swivel to the end of the bait line that I attach to the snap swivel on the bottom bouncer. This eliminates line twist. Most of the bouncers have pretty low quality snap swivels on them. I wrap these pretied bait lines around a piece of a kid's swimming noodle to keep them organized in the boat. I've also had better luck using coloured bouncers than my buddy using the standard lead grey ones. I vary the length of the bait line to suit finicky fish as well as what Roy said about the distance of your bait off of the bottom.

Jack.

Ok. I do all that with the line to the harness, short, long, extra swivels. I just don't use the hole in the bend of the sinker wire.

With the 3 way swivel it hangs down sorta.

I'll try it the other way and see how it works. I just never thought about it. From when I first picked one up, I rigged it that way. Now I'm seeing guys do it the other way and got to wondering.

Guest gbfisher

I understood that you knew how the rig worked......lol just that you used it differently is all. If it works better for you that way, perfect.

I was pointing out that you would have a better feel of the bottom if you did it the way everyone else did. :D

Edited by gbfisher