Recommendations for best trolling line to combat spiny water fleas?

muskieb

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best line to use on trolling rigs to minimize accumulation of spiny water fleas on the line. Have fished lake Ontario a few times and found them pretty bad and have 5 reels to spool up, would hate to put the wrong line on them.

You want to spool up with Flea Flicker line. It's awful stuff to use, but it can keep you on the water when all your other lines seize up at the rod tip. Brian at JB's will spool you up, and then despool it for storage and later use when the flea season is over.

For the most part you can get away with 30lbs red wolf line you can get at most stores. its thick enough to keep most off and does not spin up like Flea Flicker line. Not saying flea flicker line is not needed but last 4 out of 5 years i have not need to use it. It is a line that like to spin just by looking at it lol. Anyways redwolf is a cheap line that is very strong and 5 charters besides myself use it with no problems and at 1.98- 3.99 a spool how can you go wrong with a line that keeps flea off and is tough like nails. Any other info just PM me will be more then willing to help you out.

For the most part you can get away with 30lbs red wolf line you can get at most stores. its thick enough to keep most off and does not spin up like Flea Flicker line. Not saying flea flicker line is not needed but last 4 out of 5 years i have not need to use it. It is a line that like to spin just by looking at it lol. Anyways redwolf is a cheap line that is very strong and 5 charters besides myself use it with no problems and at 1.98- 3.99 a spool how can you go wrong with a line that keeps flea off and is tough like nails. Any other info just PM me will be more then willing to help you out. Just for any of you wondering why a charter boat would be using a cheap line. Its made by Berkley and trust me only thing cheap about it is its price!!

You want to spool up with Flea Flicker line. It's awful stuff to use, but it can keep you on the water when all your other lines seize up at the rod tip. Brian at JB's will spool you up, and then despool it for storage and later use when the flea season is over.

I agree!

buy on spool of flea flicker or 40lb ande. splice on 125ft onto your main line to cover the downrigger drop. i have gone to 50lb because i use it for tying rigs for my trolling flys.

i just splice on a length so when it's twisted bad from the dodger i can splice in a new length

I think the fleas get badder (more worser, I mean), as the water warms. On the north shore of Lake O, that would be the latter half of August. And as folks said, you can get a beautiful twister happening with that stuff. I thought it was because my spoon was fouled and I was pulling it sideways, but mebbe it was just the line.