Tips for first trip to Pigeon Lake

CrankbaitJon

Hello everyone,

I've made some plans to fish Pigeon Lake for Muskies. It'll be a first for me, both being at Pigeon and fishing for Muskies specifically. My friends will be looking for Walleyes. I have heavy gear ready to go and plan to fish with large crankbaits. Can anyone help me with some hotspots for muskies and tips? I'll be renting a boat at either Pigeon Lake Resort or Sugar Bush Cottages unless there are other boat rentals close to hotspots if someone can tell me. Any help for a newbie will be great as I hope to bring home something :lol: ( in terms of Photos, won't be keeping any Muskies).

I will be using Rapala Super Shad (fire tiger) and X-Rap jointed (bunker and hot head)

pigeon.gif

Any help will be great.

Thanks!

Jon

Sorry, can't really help with any hot spots. I was just at a cottage on Buckhorn and spent a bit of time targeting Musky (mostly bass though) and was told to find rocky shoals, points and weed lines. There are definitley some nice Muskies in that lake so good luck! Don't know Pidgeon real well but I think the whole lake is pretty shallow, mainly a weedy bottom with a few rocky spots similar to Buckhorn. Let us know how it goes.

I will be using Rapala Super Shad (fire tiger) and X-Rap jointed (bunker and hot head)

I thought you said you'd be using big baits? Those would be spring-sized musky baits, not a bigger bait at all. Either way, Pigeon (so I hear) has to be one of the best bets for a newbie to catch a musky (other than maybe scugog), and a supershadrap would probably be fairly reliable in a kawartha lake I would imagine. Good look and let us know how you do.

Don't forget to buy a few Mepps Musky Killer bucktails to throw along the weed edges. I prefer the gold blade and black bucktail myself. I also have had good luck trolling rapala J-13 in orange. You can get both of these lures at any Crappy tire store. Try around Sandy Point. Good luck.

I was up at Pigeon a few weeks ago at Pigeon Lake Resort. We fished up in Nogies Bay at the end in 6-15 FOW. It is very close to Pigeon Lake Resort.

My buddy caught a small muskie (26" or so) and another broke his line. The first he caught on a 2" plastic grub and the other a 3" plastic grub. We were not fishing for them at the time, although we brought our gear we were focusing on bass and walleye.

There were a number of people who were trolling through that area for musky, but I did not see anyone land anything.

I also rented from Camp Fisherman in the past. They are located closer to Gannon Narrows. I prefer to fish this part of the lake when I am going for bass, walleye and muskie. The northern part of the lake has many steep drop offs down to 30FOW. I prefer fishing in 6-12FOW. When I was at Camp Fisherman there was a group of Musky fishermen and they brought in a big musky every day [they ate them]. I saw them fishing near Gannon Narrows one of the days, but have no idea where they caught their fish.

The lake is full of structure and weed lines. The areas marked on that map are probably accurate, but it definitely doesn't contain all the spots that would be good. Just take a look at a bathymetric map and I am sure you can find spots that look like they hold fish.

Good luck!