princecraft trolling motor question

Guest nuker

someone with a princecraft or experience with one should be able to help me on this

i have a 2004 super pro 186 platinum that has the 12-24 volt bow panel for a trolling motor

the diagram i have with the boat does not show that i am to wire the batteries in series

i cut the eye connectors off the power cables for my minn kota powerdrive 2 i connected the wires to the marinco plug for 24 v

i set up the motor and plugged it all in but did not connect the batteries together

it works but is this correct?

also, do i need to disconnect everything from my starting battery to charge it?

i have the nautilus on board charger from canadian tire

thanks!

well with the info you have given

I would guess the batteries should be ran parallel

and the panel at the bow is where it makes the switch to serial

and that is how they can have 12 or 24 volt panel

so each battery will have 2 wires running to the front

but that's with the little info you gave

Edited by Terry

If you have the 65 or 70lb thrust models you will need two 12 volt deep cycle batteries connected in series to produce 24 volts.

If you have the 55, 50 or 40lb thrust models, you only need one 12 volt deep cycle battery. You can lengthen your run time by using two 12 volt batteries also but in this case they need to be connected in parallel.

i have the 70 lb thrust

i know they need to be in series but i am wondering if the bow panel, marinco plug and wiring takes care of the series thing with some internal switching or something.

the wires from the panel to the battery are labelled bat 1 and bat 2. i have them all hooked up to the proper battery as per the diagram that came with the boat. again the diagram does not indicate wiring the bats together in series

the marinco plug inside has a positive for 12 and 24, and the neg

i put the kota's junk wire to the 24 and the neg to the neg and reassembled the plug

i think princecraft owners out there who have done this would know if this is correct

i tested out the motor and it responds to the controls

if the power was only making 12 volts, would the motor even work? parallel would only give 12 v