Mountsberg Pike

FiSh4LiFe

I was just wonderin what is the best place on shore to catch alot of good sized pike, i have tried off the dock in the consevation park and the first cast i got a pike but not even one after that. I would like to try on the other side of the lake. If anyone knows anywhere off shore to catch lots give me a shout! :o

Thanks, Nick

It is usually better in the spring right after opener. The weeds get tall and the water levels go down and you can almost walk across them on the surface by late summer. Most shore anglers gather next to the dam. There is a two fish limit and no live bait is allowed. There is also a $10 fee that is enforced with fines in the $60 range for not complying.

regs.jpg

The place has seen greatly increased pressure over the last 3-5yrs and sizes and numbers have diminished because of this. I partly blame myself for posting some really good days at Mountsberg in the past.

I was there yesterday and the weeds are in thick. Caught a few hammerhandles but nothing too great. Not a lot of shore area to fish but there is some. Just be prepared to fish weedless.

On the more sickening side, I saw some guy bring one back to the launch, dead on a stringer, and then decide he didn't want it. So he threw it back dead. Just about everyone had a stringer attached to the side of their boat. Most were empty or had rather small fish. I don't think many fish live to be caught twice there.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not trying to discourage you from going there at all, you can still get a few fish. It's just that little reservoir could be such a good spot if it weren't a slaughter house, or a garbage dump. It's such a shame.

Edited by timmeh

I feel your pain Timmeh. It used to be such a great place. I've seen people fishing with live bait and keeping more than their limit even before pike season was open. Then when pike opens it seems half the anglers are fishing for largemouth bass on their spawning beds before bass season opens. Then there is the garbage problem. I'm not talking about people leaving worm buckets or pop cans, people drop whole garbage bags full along the shoreline. My brother once found a discarded battery on one of the islands. He picked it up and took it to a recycler on the way home. It's sad :( .

I honestly haven't been fishing there long enough to personally notice the decline, it's never been great for me. But I can believe you that it was much better at one point. I wish I had fished it 5 years ago. Just seeing the pressure on weekdays, I haven't dared to go on a weekend ever, it's easy to see that the fishery is under major fishing stress. And the garbage is really bad. There was a full bag just sitting on the side of the boat launch. It really bothers me that people can disrespect our resources like this.

that dosent sound to good, I hit the lake today and i cought only 2 hammerhandels and nothing else.... no bass but some guys were fishing by the dam and were catching a couple crappie. Yes i have noticed the garbage laying around everywhere beside the boat launch, packages of fishing lures everywhere. I also some kids fishing beside the train tracks and alot of trains go trough there!

the train tracks are private property. i was there once a few years back and some guy in one of the pickups that ride on the rails came and told me they were holding back trains because someone was reported on the tracks (me) fortunately i didnt get a ticket...even got a ride back in his truck. was lucky i ran into someone nice and didnt get ticketed

ryan

I always leave from Berg with a bag of garbage which is not mine (beer can, nylon line, glass bottles).

I encourage all of you to do the same.

It is a nice reservoir, too bad that is over fished. Probably need at least one year of closure.

The place is too close to GTA. The thick weeds I think is a good factor in keeping the fish in the lake.

The harder to get the fish out, the better for the fish to survive there.

On the other hand I wonder where that $10 fee goes. How is that fund managed in Berg?

I was fishing there in the spring time and I saw someone carving up a 4.5 lb largie at the launch...I was furious...She was bragging how the thing fought for a good 5 minutes... and here she was cutting it up as if it was going to make a good dinner...At 4.5 lbs that thing isnt going to taste good. That was a fish that would have produced many other good fish in that place and she decided it was dinner...I realize that she was well within her rights, but I just don't understand the need to eat fish that size, they are old and loaded with toxins.

I was fishing there in the spring time and I saw someone carving up a 4.5 lb largie at the launch...I was furious...She was bragging how the thing fought for a good 5 minutes... and here she was cutting it up as if it was going to make a good dinner...At 4.5 lbs that thing isnt going to taste good. That was a fish that would have produced many other good fish in that place and she decided it was dinner...I realize that she was well within her rights, but I just don't understand the need to eat fish that size, they are old and loaded with toxins.

Define "Spring Time", because if it was before June 27th, then she was not within her rights.

They should make it catch and release for a few years, or even close it for a bit like Gogu mentioned above. If MNR was present there more frequently they would be suprised how much money and tackle they could take. The only thing they enforce there is to make sure you pay the $10, SHOCKER!

I suppose it's better than the story higher up of dead fish being thrown away (notwithstanding it may have been out of season). Sounds like Mountsberg is a great fishery that needs a decent bailiff and a bit of breathing room.

I guess the problem with making it catch and release is that the same morons who leave line and garbage all over the place will just ignore it unless it's enforced properly <_<

Define "Spring Time", because if it was before June 27th, then she was not within her rights.[

Well I was probably off by saying spring time, it was probably early July, I think I would have realized at the time if they were out of season and then been forced to say something...Nonetheless I think the big fish need to live...

I am a long time holder of a Halton Region Conservation annual pass (110$ or so annually) and used to enjoy some very good pike and bass fishing at the reservoir. I am continually ticked off seeing cars parked in the lot that have clearly not payed the 10$ and the near total lack of enforcement, not to mention the garbage and the general sorry state of the shore fishing spots.

On top of that I have also:

1) Had my buddy's car broken into and lots of tackle and anything else they could get their hands on stolen.

2) Almost gotten into it with some dude who was clearly cracked out and looking for a fight.

Mountsberg has turned into a CIRCUS!

I'd advocate writing a short signed petition to HRCA outlining the issues and some potential alternative solutions (E.g. more enforcement, put a kiosk/gate there and charge. close it down for a season?)

I don't know why HRCA continues to neglect the reservoir...I think it may be because they are focused on their bird of prey rehab program however they are ignoring a valuable aquatic resource and potentially good source of revenue. Let's keep in mind that this is a public institution (partially paid for by tax dollars handed down from the municipality) and is ultimately publicly accountable.

sorry for the rant

Halton Conservation is run by B. Penman and as I have stated here before , he has no respect for fishing.

Just look what they have done for fishing in all the Halton Parks.

The fact that they have the nerve to charge anything for what they do is beyond belief.

I have been a resident and fisherman for more than (50) years here in Halton and if wasn't for the sportsman

club and volunteers there would be no fishing at all available here in Halton.

If anything HCA has destroyed more fish opportunities than all other problems,( joe public or industry has.)

Rdj