Electric trolling motor ?

splashhopper

hmmmm???

I put the charger on the 2A setting this morning at 6am at my storage shed... (and even plugged it in)... the gauge moved so I assumed it was set up properly.

Was expecting to test the motor out when i got back at the end of the day...

Hooked the motor up to it..... nothing ohmy.gif

Opened the hood of my van....hooked the motor up to it.....

no problem worthy.gif works fine..

brought the battery and charger home.... plugged em in... same movement on the gauge... hmmmm

my neighbor brought over his battery tester.... it read 12.25... looks good to me....

So.... why wouldn't it work at my shed ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

How old is the battery?... have you checked the fluid levels?... you may have a broken post.

It's not really worth worrying over, go buy a new battery unless that one is still under warranty.

Try the 10 amp rapid charge, your charger may be crapped out as well.

You may also want to take the battery out of your van and try the trolling motor battery in the van.

Edited by GCD

How old is the battery?... have you checked the fluid levels?... you may have a broken post.

It's not really worth worrying over, go buy a new battery unless that one is still under warranty.

Try the 10 amp rapid charge, your charger may be crapped out as well.

How can I tell how old the battery is ?

The posts don't seem loose.

When i put the charger on 10A the gauge moves right over... is it possible that the 2A is not working but the 10A is ?

The crazy thing is,,, the battery tester says it is fully charged ?

First thing I checked was the fluid....full.

thanks

Edited by splashhopper

2 amp is for maintainence, 10 amp is to recharge.

try your trolling motor battery in the van.... the process of elimination doncha yanno!

Your battery should have a year and month sticker on it with the year and month it was bought punched out.

Edited by GCD

Guest skeeter99
if the battery is a 12V why wouldn't it be fulled charged when the meter reads 12.25 then ?

yeah 12.2 volts is low, usually around 13 volts is a charged 12 volt battery

the battery is probably sulphated(plates are oxidized) or broken internal plates

I got 3 deep cycle 27 class batteries in my garage $20 a piece or 3 for $40 sound okay, they are only 2 years old

Edited by skeeter99

the battery is probably sulphated(plates are oxidized) or broken internal plates

I got 3 deep cycle 27 class batteries in my garage $20 a piece or 3 for $40 sound okay, they are only 2 years old

Yeah Buddy!... that's why I suggested putting the trolling motor battery in the van earlier... to see if it turns it over!!!

I live in London but my wife and daughter are traveling to Markham ( 16th line and Markham rd this weekend).

Any chance you could bring one to them for an extra $10... my wife is only 5' and 83lbs .. so a 40lb battery is beyond her carrying ability .. :o

I live in London but my wife and daughter are traveling to Markham ( 16th line and Markham rd this weekend).

Any chance you could bring one to them for an extra $10... my wife is only 5' and 83lbs .. so a 40lb battery is beyond her carrying ability .. :o

He was jesting you Dude!!!... they're toast too!!!

go buy a new battery and consider yourself fortunate that you paid $50 for a trolling motor that runs!!!

Edited by GCD

... btw, you should've hooked the trolling motor up to the battery to see if it worked before you bought it!... when it didn't work you could have haggled him down to $25!

PSSST....

It was clean... very clean,,,, not even a scratch on the propeller...

I took a chance... B)

and today.... I took the battery over to Partsource to have them check it on their machine....

checked out fine...

I then went back to my shed and hooked it up again... no go.... hmmmm :o

but, when i hooked up the negative terminal.. i heard a sound that let me know I closed the loop on the circuit...

that got me thinking... :rolleyes:

that although the terminals "looked clean"... maybe there was some kind of coating on them preventing a good connection.... ie.. .why did it work on my van last night.... but not on the deep cycle battery...

i grabbed some steel wool off the shelf.... rubbed the terminals a few times....

hooked it up again.....

VOILA...... purrs like a kitten ..... 5 speeds forward... and 2 reverse.... :whistling:

Tomorrow I will fiddle with the mount to the "tooner" and hopefully be "toonin and groovin" on a pond Saturday morning....

Thanks for the suggestions....

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

FYI, do not run a trolling motor long at all out of the water. A few seconds here and there should not kill it BUT if you are farting around with the speeds and so forth out of a full bucket of water or lake then you can do damage to the unit.

next time you have it out of the water, take the prop off and make sure there are no weeds all twisted up in there too.

FYI, do not run a trolling motor long at all out of the water. A few seconds here and there should not kill it BUT if you are farting around with the speeds and so forth out of a full bucket of water or lake then you can do damage to the unit.

next time you have it out of the water, take the prop off and make sure there are no weeds all twisted up in there too.

I will take the prop off tomorrow ...thanks for the suggestion :clapping:

should I oil or grease it too ?