Fished lake Erie, No pictures but.. Tornado!

Mattones

A bunch of us were going to head to Lake Simcoe as a friend has a cottage on an island there. But were told the waves were pretty rough so we decided to go to lake Erie. The fishing was great all morning! Lots of bass! Everytime one of us put our lines back into the water you would have another bass on.

Anyway around 12 the clouds started to get dark where we entered Lake Erie but figured as everywhere was sunny put that area it would be fine. Another 10 minutes go by with us fishing and one of us turns around and spots a tornado on land and another about to hit the water right across the canal where the other one was. We quickly reeled in and got the life jackets and hammered it back into the canel. My coworkers son was freaking out because we were heading in between them.

I can honestly say that we were no more then 200 yards from the tornado that was on the water! the sky was pitch black now and the water was pelting down. We had lost direction where we were going for a good 10 seconds which felt like forever as my eyes were glued for to the tornado! I dont think I did the kid any help by yelling 'ITS 200 YARDS AWAY SPEED UP!' about 10 times. :o

Once we got through and entered the canal area it pretty much ended as far as we could tell. When we stopped the engine to have a look there was a family on a little boat with a 25HP motor. He pulled up beside us and said he saw us about 6 miles out onto the lake when he started to head in. When he turned around we were flying towards the twister. I figure if my buddies boat didnt have 150HP we would have been screwed.

I can honestly say It was pretty neat being that close to a tornado and seeing through it but I never want to do it on the water again.

You call that a report? What were the bass hitting?

Jim

Minnows. Thats all they seemed to be hitting

Intense!! When was this?

Around noon 12. As we sat in the boat until 2 to go back out when it was light rain which later stopped.

Heres a couple of waterspouts we encountered out at Port Maitland yesterday at 12:30..... :ph34r:

i6e64m.jpg

v4p2ci.jpg

You must have been right behind us or near us!

Did you see a red boat with four guys fishing from it? haha

The one of the left when it touched down we where 200 yards from it.

Edited by Mattones

We were on our way in from pickerel fishing.

We packed up and were out about 8 miles, it looked dark but not too bad towards Pt. Maitland and then it just freight trained in right in front of it.

We ended up squeaking in between the two spouts to the east and the white wall of water to the west.

I didnt see your boat out there, but to tell you the truth I wasnt sight seeing going through that crap.

If you saw a black Lund flying in that was us. There was no way I staying on the lake with what I saw coming at us.

We got wet but we got in safely.

Interesting indeed...

v4p2ci.jpg

Bryan

We were on our way in from pickerel fishing.

We packed up and were out about 8 miles, it looked dark but not too bad towards Pt. Maitland and then it just freight trained in right in front of it.

We ended up squeaking in between the two spouts to the east and the white wall of water to the west.

I didnt see your boat out there, but to tell you the truth I wasnt sight seeing going through that crap.

If you saw a black Lund flying in that was us. There was no way I staying on the lake with what I saw coming at us.

We got wet but we got in safely.

Interesting indeed...

v4p2ci.jpg

If you guys where passing back and forth fishing then yes I saw you. But before the storm hit all the boats near us were gone.

Going through that wall of water was insane. even when your 200 yards away from the water spout! The drops of rain were like the size of a toonie. Just insane. We hope to go out Sunday again.

Bryan