Unlimited Possession Limit for Pickerel

Jonny

I've been browsing through some old newspaper articles from the North Bay Nugget and the Sudbury Star.

Here's something that caught my eye about the native fish store than operates from the dry-docked Chief Commanda I ("The Old Chief") at the North Bay waterfront:

This is the first time the native community has sold fish through a co-operative business model regulated by its own laws and conservation plan.

In years past, individual fishers and families operated commercial entities without provincial health inspections of their facilities that allow restaurant resale.

The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources said it supports the retail fish market approach, with the understanding that all of the fish are from registered commercial fishermen.

The MNR is encouraged by the ongoing efforts to build co-operative relations with Nipissing First Nation over the past few years," said Randy Morrison, the North Bay MNR's Nipissing area manager.

The certified approach also allows non-natives to store more than their game fish catch limits in freezers as long as they keep official receipts.

The market price this week is $14 a pound or just over $3 per 100 grams.

So you can have a large amount of pickerel (in addition to your own posession limit for fish you yourself have caught) in your home.

Interesting too is the price per pound. This article was published last summer so the price may be higher this year.

And this from a column in the Sudbury Star (Aug. 8, 2008):

Armed with a simple recipe for fried fish, I drove over to Tarini's for an education in fish shopping.

Rick Tarini stood behind an imposing glass case lined with layers of salmon, perch, crab and other water creatures.

He said much of what he gets is local.

"They come from Spanish and Blind River, some from Manitoulin," he said. "The fishermen literally hop in a boat in their own backyards, put the fish on ice and then bring it here."

I picked up four pieces of pickerel and brought it home for dinner.

That makes it sound like local fishermen can sell their catches to Tarini's Market, which I am sure can't be the case?

"The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources said it supports the retail fish market approach, with the understanding that all of the fish are from registered commercial fishermen."

I would assume that the above sentence quoted from your post would mean that only commercial fisherman are allowed to sell to the store.

To me, the Tarini quote sounds like just any fishermen, not commercial boats.

This is something I don't know enough about.

Are there non-native commercial fishermen in Ontario who are allowed to catch and sell pickerel?

....or the backdoor of restaurants.

I never buy freshwater fish in stores or restaurants simply because I NEVER want to risk financially encouraging the abuse of our natural resources.

Edited by Kinger

I've seen the commercial boat in Thornbury selling incidental bows fr 5 bux a piece. He would put a sign on his truck: "back at 4:30" I asked the C.O if theres anything he could do about it one day, he said "cant do anything, they're self regulated". We both just shook our heads.

There's a commercial boat in Spanish, A couple in Blind River and several on the island, all properly licensed. Used to be one in Algoma Mills too but I'm not sure if he's still operating. There are also several fish farm operations on the island. I'd be surprised if Tarini is buying illegal fish, it's just not worth it.

Why would anyone object to an operator selling incidentals if he can. Only other thing he could do is toss them and feed the gulls. Why not use them?

Edited by Bob

No, I don't think Tarini would be selling illegal fish either. I just wonder what his source is for pickerel. A native fishery on Manitoulin maybe? Wikwemikong?

He made it sound like just anybody could do it, but I'm sure that's not the case.

I don't think non-native commercial fishery of game fish is allowed anywhere in Ontario. But I'm not sure.

I found another article that mentioned pickerel being sold in a store in Hanmer.

I've being eating from tarini's since i was born, best butcher in town,i used to fix tarini's car when i was a mechanic couple doors down from them in the early 90's, super great people, call him and ask him yourself where he gets his fish from 705-673-6167

I've being eating from tarini's since i was born, best butcher in town,i used to fix tarini's car when i was a mechanic couple doors down from them in the early 90's, super great people, call him and ask him yourself where he gets his fish from 705-673-6167

I'd rather not call - it might sound like I'm 'checking up'. But I could stop by the store the next time I'm in Sudbury if I get the chance. I assume he's still in Gatchell on Lorne St. It's been a long time since I was in the store.