Leader, snap and swivel talk

Syn

I've been bored waiting for my next fishing trip day to arrive (wed 19th aug) so I've spent some time reading up on leaders, specifically for big pike and muskie.

Been using steel leaders all my life, but decided to splurge on a titanium leader 15 strands $9.

Looks ok, but I've also been reading that 100+lb flourocarbon leader is the way to go. Flouro has some give to it, a bit more that titanium wire.

So I've got a couple of Huskie Muskie casting leaders coming in the mail now. I like how they are coiled at the loops to prevent snap chafing.

Anyhow what are you guys using for leaders?

I hate using the Stay-lok Snap but I've heard its the best one to use.

Also how do you guys feel about the crane swivel vs bearing swivel for the same lb rating. The crane swivel looks weaker by design imo, only had it break once, never broke a bearing swivel.

Edited by Syn

I use fluoro leaders. I think mine are 80 lb test and have a berkley cross lock snap and good ball bearing. I get thm made to size by Brian at Backwater bait and tackle in Midland. They are very reasonable and they seem to last a long time and have not broken one yet.

I've become a big fan of floro leaders, but I tend to stay with 130 lb leaders. A bit better biteoff protection. If you believe internet lore, there have been biteoffs on 100 lb, but no confirmed cases on 130 that I am aware of, so I think that is kind of the tipping point.

I use them on everything except jerkbaits. You will want to stay with a stiff single strand on them for proper lure action.

I just purchased from Flouro leaders at BPS 130# for 10 bucks for 2!! I also hear you need 130 and above foer the big Muskek!!

Second is the knot show above good for braid line or other??

Perfect for braided line. Using it on 50lb power pro currently.

I use 80lb Seagur with SPRO snaps n swivels and they work GREAT! I agree that since the line sinks it tends to impede the action on some of my crank baits.

**I first tried to save a few bucks n used the Bass Pro brand snaps n swivels. BIG MISTAKE!! lost 3 fish (AND 3 x- raps) in one day! cheap ass BPS hardware would literraly bend the o rings straight and snap! UNACCEPTABLE.

I guess you get what you pay for....

B)