Honda EG 1500 Generator?

Woodsman

Does anyone have any experience & tips for this generator.

When the power was out a friend lent me this generator telling me it hadn't ran in many years. After cleaning out the fuel shutoff valve and the gummed up float bowl I have it running smoothly. Only small problem was that the power was restored about an hour before I had it running. :rolleyes:

When I went to return it he said "I'll sell it to you for $50". I said "sold".

This is an older generator (20+ years old??) made in Japan. No manual with it is one reason I'm looking for info.

Motor is a Honda G42, 171 cc. The actual generator portion is made by Sawafugi in Japan. 115 volts only and will produce just over 10 amps continuously. Sure not enough to run whole house at once, but sure will help run some things in a pinch. I am also planning eventually to buy a slightly larger generator that has 220 volts so that I can also run my water pump and more things at once.

Any tips for the Honda will be appreciated.

Rick

Edited by Woodsman

You got a sweet deal, ideal litle genny for running the fridge or freezer during outages or lights, coffee pot, etc. Best I could find was this link to some of the manuals, although they don't list "EC" some of the other models are probably close enough to do any needed repairs. http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/manuals/

Quick update, it appears to be a 1969 model, there is one shop manual located on ebay in Winnipeg, here: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Honda-Generator-Model-E...p3286.m20.l1116

Edited by Fisherman

Best I could find was this link to some of the manuals, although they don't list "EC" some of the other models are probably close enough to do any needed repairs. http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/manuals/

Quick update, it appears to be a 1969 model, there is one shop manual located on ebay in Winnipeg, here: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Honda-Generator-Model-E...p3286.m20.l1116

Fisherman: Thanks for the links.

As for "EC" your correct. It's actually an "EG".

I have corrected the title to reflect this.

The pictures from your links for the 1969, EG 1500 it looks like the right generator but a somewhat older version. Mine has a recoil starter, different air filter assembly, larger fuel tank & different handle.

Thanks again: Rick

We have two of those at work. Ours might be slightly newer and I believe they are early 1980's (1982-3). I might even have the manuals for it in soft copy, but that will take sometime to find as I'm in the process of retiring my old computer. I think Honda might keep the parts catalogues online so I'd check them out. You will need the model number of both the engine and generator.

Anyway, it's a great generator. Very easy to maintain and repair. Most, if not all, parts are still available. If you've got it running then all you have to do is keep it maintained. I recommend using 5W30 (I prefer synthetic) oil in the crankcase. That way, if the power goes out when its cold out (spring, fall or winter) you won't have to fight the normally recommended 30W oil to get it started.

Thanks to Fishermans link I was able to download the manual for the 1969 model. Mine uses a slightly newer motor. The motor in mine was produced from 1975-1979. Thru an other site I was able to download a users manual for the motor. By the serial # I highly suspect the motor was made in the first proction year of 1975.

I recommend using 5W30 (I prefer synthetic) oil in the crankcase. That way, if the power goes out when its cold out (spring, fall or winter) you won't have to fight the normally recommended 30W oil to get it started.

Although the motor manual doesn't mention oil type :rolleyes: the generator manual recommends 10W40 for general use. As the motor will be stored inside cold thick oil should not be a factor.

5W-30 anyway even if it is going to be stored inside.

If you are going to keep a can of gas standing by or fuel in the generator, make sure you use a good quality stabilizer in the fuel. Gas containing ethanol starts to break down after as little as 4 weeks. Apart from that little maintanance should be necessary!

Rick, I'm only taking a stab at this, don't know for sure about the motor, however, check your manual and see if this has a rubber timing belt, some of the older ones did, some are just a gear driven camshaft with pushrod OHV. If it's got the rubber belt, see if you can get a replacement and change it. Good luck ;)