Treble Hooks on an In-line Spinner

bigzinc10

I am using a dressed in-line spinner #3 with a treble hook on it. Yesterday, I had two decent sized fish on, but as I reeled them in closer to shore, the fish shook off the hook. I am certain its due to the treble hook. Do most of you who use spinners, use treble or single hook? Are spinners designed such that the treble hook can be interchanged with a single hook?

Get your pliers and bend your treble hooks upwards so the point of the hook is angled up slightly. This opens up the hook gap but also the hooking angle is improved. Anything that barley touches the hook tip will get set. Forgot to say: dont grip the sharp part of the hook with the pliers, grab the hook from the rear round part and open up the hook gap so the point is on a slight angle upwards when you view the hook from the side and the hook shaft is horizontal.. Sometimes when I'm really bored I even bend the hook so the point is also angled to the side and up like those "rotating" hooks that they sell.

drew a pic, your hook angle could be a bit less open after you bend it:

hook_WinCE.jpg

On my blue fox with large double Colorado blades (short fat lure lol), I cut off the treble and attached a longer shank 4/0 bass hook using a split ring. Then I just tip the hook with a small plastic minnow or plastic worm. This made the profile of the lure longer overall.

Edited by Syn

Thanks for the tip Syn...will try that out

Get your pliers and bend your treble hooks upwards so the point of the hook is angled up slightly. This opens up the hook gap but also the hooking angle is improved. Anything that barley touches the hook tip will get set.

Syn's suggestion will help some, but you'll also snag up a lot more.

I find when the fish aren't feeding aggressively I will get a lot of "skin" hook ups, just barely hooked in the corner of the mouth usually... and not hooked into any solid jaw meat, just skin.

Leaving the fish in the water and grabbing it or netting it will help land these fish. Trying to pull the fish up into the boat or on shore will usually pull the hook out of the little bit of skin that is holding it. You also want to keep your line tight and don't give the fish any slack, as soon as they get just a little slack... they're GONE!!!

Sharpening your hooks as mentioned will also help.

Actually, while widening the angle of the hook bend reduces penetration by increasing the difference between the direction that you are pulling and the direction the hook point wants to travel. That's why you see Kahle hooks, where the point is curved inward toward the eye (decreasing that difference), but no one makes hooks with the kind of obtuse angle Syn is describing. Widening the overall gap of the hook will help, however.

I went fishing at the same spot yesterday and managed to go 4/5.!! I used the same treble hook on the spinner: except this time I filed them and kept the rod down once a fish was on. It worked out pretty well..thanks guys for your advice. My fish ranged in size from 5 inches all the way up to 12 inches....I was surprised that some little guys attacked a #3 spinner. I felt bad for one fish though, he was so small that the treble was hooked and lodged in his entire mouth...it was difficult prying it off while reducing damage to the fish.

Also, my spinner is from dollarama!! Has given me more action than my mepps spinner!

Happens quite a bit with spinners. Usually they come off due to lack of line tension. Many fish just hit spinner lightly and are hooked very well.

Most spinners aren't built to change hooks easily, but some are. All you would need to do is cut the hook off and put a new one on with a split ring.

I love my mepps spinners, but I often change the hooks to better trebles most of the time.

Well....one thing for sure.....most of the time, the fish is not solidly hooked when using a small spinner like a Mepps or a Panther Martin. I do a lot of fishing for brook trout with spinners.....especially the Panther Martin size 1 and 2. Luckily, these spinners have about the nicest treble hooks you can find on a spinner. They are super sharp and made of fine wire and have a small barb. I've also replaced these treble hooks with a single Gamakatsu Split Shot hook and there has been no notable difference in the number of fish landed. However, I fish with 2 to 4 lb mono on a 6 1/2 ultra light, fast action rod. Even though the rod is fast action, it still has more flex than a medium action rod.

Ok....up here where I live, the brook trout fishing is easy and I have no trouble catching enough trout for the table so I do keep my rod tip a bit too high and do lose about 20% of my fish. I like to see them jump and I like to see them battle at the surface. Keeping the rod tip down and not horsing the fish and making sure that the hooks are super sharp will greatly increase the catch ratio.

Well....one thing for sure.....most of the time, the fish is not solidly hooked when using a small spinner like a Mepps or a Panther Martin. I do a lot of fishing for brook trout with spinners.....especially the Panther Martin size 1 and 2. Luckily, these spinners have about the nicest treble hooks you can find on a spinner. They are super sharp and made of fine wire and have a small barb. I've also replaced these treble hooks with a single Gamakatsu Split Shot hook and there has been no notable difference in the number of fish landed. However, I fish with 2 to 4 lb mono on a 6 1/2 ultra light, fast action rod. Even though the rod is fast action, it still has more flex than a medium action rod.

Ok....up here where I live, the brook trout fishing is easy and I have no trouble catching enough trout for the table so I do keep my rod tip a bit too high and do lose about 20% of my fish. I like to see them jump and I like to see them battle at the surface. Keeping the rod tip down and not horsing the fish and making sure that the hooks are super sharp will greatly increase the catch ratio.

... I've heard that Brook trout breed like Rats!!!

... kinda like Kawartha Mucksies!!! :rolleyes:

... I've heard that Brook trout breed like Rats!!!

... kinda like Kawartha Mucksies!!! :rolleyes:

Well....up here in the Saguenay region of Quebec, you are not far from the truth. A large portion of the territory has nothing other than brook trout. No minnows, no other species of fish therefore, no competition. Insect life is intense and the waters are pure enough to support even fragile insects like mayflies. The water stays cool all summer so the fly fishing is great from ice out to October when the lakes start to freeze over. Every little stream is crammed with brookies and nobody bothers to fish them. My daughter owns a house just outside of Chicoutimi and there is a stream at each end of her lot. Both streams are crammed full of brookies. I can catch a dozen in about 10 minutes when standing in one spot by the road anytime I want. The limit is 20 brook trout per day....no size limit.

No muskies or bass or sunfish or carp or perch up her though.

Guest steel'n'esox
I am using a dressed in-line spinner #3 with a treble hook on it. Yesterday, I had two decent sized fish on, but as I reeled them in closer to shore, the fish shook off the hook. I am certain its due to the treble hook. Do most of you who use spinners, use treble or single hook? Are spinners designed such that the treble hook can be interchanged with a single hook?

i bought an orange #4 mepps aglia about a month ago and went out shore fishing for pike and sure enough in about 5 mins. i got a big 7-8 pounder and it faught so hard it actually bent 2 of the hooks on my treble out but it was mighty easy to unhook and every pike after that was hell. lol.