My Recent Fly-In Trip ~ A Message From My Outfitter

solopaddler

Anyone else notice it's the guys with less then 50 posts which are whining about the lake info not being given out?

Again, I am not complaining or agruing the fact that their locations are secret or that "someone rubbing their sucess in someones face", I value the opinions and concerns of the people that are trying to preserving natural and wild gems. I get it. But, any time you post up a topic names "Lake of a Million Walleye", ya you are going to get questions and comments and hell have someone ask you for your secret spot, colour pattern, time of day time of year... whatever. Just asking that you not carp about it. Solo, I am not really directing this at you becasue i know you are just trying to relay a concern felt by others, as well as yourself, and i understand these areas are precious to many.

BillM, I am sorry that I do not have enough posts for you to recognize me as someone with something to share; I didnt realize that 50 post was the time you were able to contribute of give comments. Thats unfortunite. I do frequent these forums, more purpose/ species driven than this one. I am a new member to this particular forum though. Excuse me for not replying to every new topic with a response of "great job". But I tend to spend more of my time constructively doing the things I love... not so much reading about them.

^^^ look the equivilant of 100 posts right there.

As is the case with all outpost camps the outfitter has a land use permit from the mnr to operate a commercial outpost on the lake. Beyond that the lake is surrounded by crown land and anyone can access it and fish, camp, etc.

There's an unwritten code of honour amongst outfitters that they won't fly into each others lakes.

They are "his" lakes in the sense that he's more or less the unofficial caretaker of the resource, both for his own commercial interests and also out of genuine care for the state of the fisheries.

There's a big difference between say an outpost camp 100km north of the Albany river waaay beyond the last logging roads and an outpost located in northern Algoma near Chapleau.

Make absolutely no mistake, if locals found out about the quality of the fishing the lake would be decimated.

If you'd like to read an incredibly interesting book check out Trespassing In Gods Country by George Therriault.

It's about the life and times of a well known Ontario outfitter and bushpilot and he touches on this very topic.

His son still runs air ivanhoe out of Folyet...great people and outfitters btw.

Cheers

For what it is worth, this is a very good post. And I too beleive these this to be accurate.

Solo:

I loved your post and got quite a vicarious kick out of it. I understand completely why you didn't divulge location, and it makes more sense now as I read the outfitter's e-mail. Ontario is a huge, wonderful place full of honey holes. I've found a few and had a few days like you had recently, and I hope to find some more. And it makes it all the sweeter when you find them yourself.

Once again, I'm good with the choice of Solo not to divulge the location/outfitter. Completely up to him.

As for post totals, I'd have about 2,000+ now if every time I read a post I'd reply something lame like "Great report...thanks for sharing." Stuff like that accounts for 98% or more of most members' totals. I've been a member for years, I just choose not to waste the space with idle-congrats to bloat the "perceived" value of my opinion.

Blaque, do you really value the opinion or insights of someone that has 5,000 posts MORE than someone that has 50? Really? If so, that's a shame and speaks volumes about you.

Your original response to "Lake of a million walleye" OOZED a tone quite different than.... "I'm good with the choice of Solo not to divulge the location/outfitter." That report deserved a heckuva lot more than the taste of.........."so wheres this lake at, whatta u afraid someones gonna fish there too"

The time it took them to document the report amidst all the hard work they put in, dirty, sweatin, wind, weather etc......upload all of the images onto a photo server once at the comforts of home, arrange all the photo links in sequence to compose a report.........narrate the whole story, .......just so i can take a look and witness it. Deserves a whole lot more than a complaint.

Wasting space on the forum with idle congrats? Thats just someones way of saying, hey, i took the time to look at your report and just wanted to acknowledge the work you put into it. Expressing a gripe about someones hard work to share something that I've never experienced is in my opinion, the waste of space.

I dont care how many posts someone has, as long as one of them isnt one with an ingrateful tone.

Solo:

I loved your post and got quite a vicarious kick out of it. I understand completely why you didn't divulge location, and it makes more sense now as I read the outfitter's e-mail. Ontario is a huge, wonderful place full of honey holes. I've found a few and had a few days like you had recently, and I hope to find some more. And it makes it all the sweeter when you find them yourself.

Get ready to be bombarded via PM :lol:

Great report... .. if you don't think people flyin to these lakes.. here's a story for you. This is absolutely true!!

4 or 5 years ago, Monique, I and the two kids were on a weeklong flyin at a spot we went to every year. We had been in for three or four days, when around noon, a small float plane lands on the lake. He moors on shore across the lake, unloads a portaboat, and with a kid they get in and start fishing. Well being the friendly folks we are we get in our boat to go out and ask if he wants to have a shore lunch with us.

As we put over and get about 50 feet from him, I say Hi!!... he says "HEY!! your that family I always see on the internet!!" I was actually a bit flattered. I asked him if he came often and he said it was his first time that he had just watched our video from the year before and flew in from Timmin's to try it out.

He asked me where the pickeral were, and I told him truthfully that there was no pickeral in the lake, but it was LOADED with pike, which is the reason we liked it, lots of action. His kid then proceeds to proudly pipe up and say, "well no big deal, Dads got a freezer full of pickeral at the cottage anyway!!"

As soon as he found out there was no pickeral in the lake, he putted back to the plane and promptly took off. The guy wasnt a dick or anything.

I dont blame the outfitter at all.

Okay....I give Blaque...if you have to be right, so be it....

Solo...awesome report, really...probably one of the best, if not the best, I've ever read. As a communications director, I understand that what you did in your report is not easy to do. You put your audience inside your experience and made everyone feel like they were there...and wishing they were there...with you.

I appreciate your efforts in detailing the trip, and I appreciate your position to keep the outfitter and location to yourself and your trusted friends.

With some work and some keen observance, I'd bet someone out there could 'figure it out' based on your pictures and the outfitters prose. I don't have time for it myself, so wherever it is won't see my shadow anytime soon.

Good luck with the remainder of your soft water season. Be safe out there.

BillM, I am sorry that I do not have enough posts for you to recognize me as someone with something to share; I didnt realize that 50 post was the time you were able to contribute of give comments. Thats unfortunite. I do frequent these forums, more purpose/ species driven than this one. I am a new member to this particular forum though. Excuse me for not replying to every new topic with a response of "great job". But I tend to spend more of my time constructively doing the things I love... not so much reading about them.

^^^ look the equivilant of 100 posts right there.

Ah, so by trying to make a point, you go out of your way to insult people that actually enjoy saying 'nice job!' and 'well done!' on other people's threads? I'm sorry if you fit the mold of the low post count/hungry for information type poster. If you really aren't here for that, try making some contributions to the site and become an active member....

I was out on the water close to 100 days last year, shouldn't I have a low post count to?

:)

Who really cares?...

He caught a bunch of nice walleye...

How jealous are you folks?

find your own lake and dont tell others about it, if it makes you feel better..

Way to go Bud.. Nice Fish..Show us more pics if you ever go again! ;)

Good for you solo! Glad you guys had a great trip. I for one personally know three guys with float planes that would love to know your spot.....and I for one am glad you kept it private.

I love hearing reference of the Great George T. I had the honour of meeting him, fish and golf with him. Great man. Surprisingly a great golfer too!

Cheers.

...as a matter of fact the wife and I are seriously looking at buying a summer home in the Timmins/Cochrane area to enjoy our beautiful resource.

I guess you have your reasons for targeting that area, but having grown up in Sudbury/Sturgeon Falls and having lived in Timmins for 32 years before moving to North Bay, I would suggest that you might also look at the Soo-Sudbury-North Bay corridor. The fishing opportunities are somewhat limited in Timmins/Cochrane compared to further south. Much fishing requires long drives, and because there are many fishermen and relatively few accessible lakes, the fishing pressure is often quite high. Also I think the fishing opportunities are more varied further south.

That's my take, anyway.

Nothing against the Timmins area, I enjoyed it, but given a choice I would consider the "Near North" as well.