First trip

moparrothead

I would think that you would need a typical 7 ft spinning or bait casting outfit. A fly rod might be a fun addition if you have the room. Typically in August the fish have slowed down in the heat. You may be looking for fish off of breaks near deep water or be fishing the evening and pre-dawn hours for best success.

The smallies will typically respond to spinner baits, crank baits and leeches. The walleye on carnks like Husky Jerk, jigs and also leeches.

Don't forget your shaker of salt!

i would probably leave to ol cat rod at home, like rick said just go with a medium action 7' rod, with 12-14 lb stren. for baits we always do good on the smallies with 1 1/2 inch mad man crawdad tubes off rocky points or shoals, and #3 white mepps will catch about anything. get ya a pair/bring some polarized glasses, plenty of bug spray, and some sun block.

If this is your first time fishing ontario, you are in for a treat, im a die hard cat man, but it just isnt the same since i first fished ontario about 15 years ago, been back every year since. I'm sure you will have a blast.

jason

p.s. also when you get to camp, ask the outfitter whats hot for the time, im sure they will be happy to suggest the right lure.

Welcome abord to our board! hehe

You will find that these guys here know their stuff when it comes to fishing. I reckon you will have a great trip if you follow the advice you recieve.

My biggest tip to you is have fun. Just enjoy the day and the surroundings. What a great country we have here. "Oh, Canada, my home and native land....." Thank god that this there isn't sound on this board. My voice is a little hoarse today.

my 2 cents

2many

1/4oz Jigs and more jigs, worm harnesses and more worm harnesses, I find worms the best bait in August for bass and walleye. It's funny but I've caught all my biggest smallmouth 6-7lbs on worm harnesses chasing walleye and you might hook into a musky or pike as well.