Help Needed With Quetico Fishing Trip

carp-starter

I need help with my trip to Quetico Provincial Park next July/August. Or it might be in September for the best fishing.

My original trip was – 5 days, fly-in by float plane, about 40 km to paddle back out to civilization and about 6 portages. There would have been fishing, camping, canoeing, paddling, wild life, scenery and etc.

But I can change my original plan according to my outfitter.

I would like to go on a float plane (1st time) so that I could take photos. Fishing is number 1 on my list. I like camping and it is required since there are no 4 star motels in the wilderness.

I do not give a hoot about portaging – many people love it and this is OK with me. Lately my back has been killing me. So, I do not really want to portage because I could be stranded with my bad back in the middle of nowhere.

Paddling for 40 km is not really my cup of tea although one would see a lot of the wilderness – wildlife and scenery. I love wildlife but after the 1st or 2nd moose, all the rest of the moose will look the same to me. It would be much more interesting to see a variety of wildlife.

So, fishing is #1. If there is good fishing, I would be happy to stay at 1 camp site during the 5 days and I would take day trip to other lakes if I wanted to. Even 2 camp sites during the 5 days would be OK with me.

I would much more prefer to fish instead of paddling for 5 days and 40 km.

I you guys had a chance to go to Quetico Park, what would you choose and want to do. Assume that you would have choices and you could choose anything that you wanted. What would you be looking for in a such a trip?

Would fishing be #1 on your list? Would you want to stay at one location or more than 1 location? Give me your thoughts.

carp-starter - thank you for your help

I'd be looking forward to both the fishing and the scenery (photo ops). Do you know if you'll be paddling with or against the current? With or against the prevailing winds? I'd want those questions answered if I had a bad back for such a trek.

Yes, I plan to take a lot of photos. I will bring at least 2 cameras – 1 digital and 1 35mm.

In the original plans, the direction of travel was from west to east – Beaverhouse Lake to Nym Lake. I do not know in what direction the current would be but I am OK with the wind direction. And as far as I know, the portage from Batchewaung Lake to Nym Lake might be the most difficult - especially if one takes the shorter portage.

I would be happier with less scenery and an easier trip because of my bad back – it is the walking that is killing me.

Thank you DanC.

carp-starter

carp-starter, I am sure you have seen this and studied it.... but incase you havent I thought I thought I should post it.....http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/quet.html

I know nothing of this park... but it looks amazing!!! infact I am studying it myself!

Gerritt.

I've travelled pretty much throughout the entire park over the years, including 2 separate 40 day solo trips, so I should be able to help you out.

First off, aircraft are only allowed to land at the Beaverhouse Lake and Lac la Croix ranger stations. Neither of these locations would benefit anyone as far as trip logistics go as they're both perimeter lakes, and not particularly great access points anyway.

The beauty of Quetico though is the incredible ease of travel. You can go from lake, to lake, to lake with little or no portaging. By far the best flatwater canoe country on the planet IMO. Picture postcard shield country, beautiful campsites, tons of waterfalls and world class fishing.....it's one of my favourite places!

Based on what you said, I'd highly recommend the Stanton Bay access point on Pickeral Lake. Paddle accross Pickeral Lake, and you've got 2 flat, easy portages to get into Sturgeon lake, one 460m, another 730m.

Once in Sturgeon you're set. It's an absolutely mammoth lake with great fishing and tons of campsites. It's got a couple of inflowing rivers, neckdown areas with current, and one major outflow, all of which are fish magnets.

One of the coolest campsites I dubbed "Bermuda point". It's a long narrow spit of gorgeous white sand that juts into the lake. There's a nice grove of red pines in the centre where the tent site is. Just a great, great spot.

I've got a ton of more specific info regarding fishing spots and campsites that would take me too long to type out at the moment, so feel free to pm me if you've got any questions at all!

cheers, Mike B)

OK guys, I think my original post was not clear. I apologize for this. I am not looking for specific info on Quetico Provincial Park but such info would be most welcomed. It can be any other wilderness area with many lakes where there are portages, canoeing, photography, wildlife, scenery and whatever – a good example is Algonquin Provincial Park.

Because of my bad back, I think that portages will be out for me. If this is the case, I will be restricted to a smaller area where lakes are connected – no paddling and no portages every day but I will have a lot more fishing and less of scenery/wildlife.

For many people who do go to Quetico, portages and canoeing every day is high on their priority list – would they be for you? Would I be giving up much if I were to stay at a home base for the 5 days instead of portaging and paddling every day? Or do I suffer with my bad back and do the portaging every day? Paddling is no problem except that fishing time will be shortened.

Thank you – I hope that I am clearer this time

carp-starter

MIKE – the more time I spend investigating Quetico on the web, the more I realize how little I know about Quetico. And I thank you very much for the info. Quetico does sound like an awesome place to spend some time at.