Power Handles

Weeds

Hi. I've seen a few references to power handles lately, either as aftermarket additions to reels or as part of the reels original design. I'm curious as to who's using them and how they like them and if there are any drawbacks. Is the added stress/torque created when using a power handle likely to cause a reel to wear much quicker? Would the addition of a power handle to a reel (specifically to an abu 6500 C3) be likely to void the manufacturers warranty? Thanks. Weeds.

I don't think the power handle would void the warranty because it's also an abu product, if it does just put the original handle back on when you send it back. :D I think the 6500 is the perfect reel to add the handle, I have done it to that reel it helps pick up the slack faster.

Can`t tell you if they will void the warranty but power handles have been around for a long time, most that I have seen were for Abu and Mitchell products. Never broke a bail spring on the made in France Mitchell 300`s but I did break a couple of handles. Power handles were a lot tougher.

I don't see the reason for getting a power handle for a reel that already has a handle. I always pump my rod and reel in the slack. A power handle will just mean that I will reel in at a slower rate due to the increased circumference of the reeling action.

Maybe a power handle for retrieving crankbaits with a reel having a very high speed gear ratio would sound reasonable. But then, you no longer have a very high speed gear ratio if your hand must turn a longer circumference for every turn of the handle.

Why not a smaller handle? This way, a person could really whip in line when he lowers his rod tip after every pump of the rod.

Can`t tell you if they will void the warranty but power handles have been around for a long time, most that I have seen were for Abu and Mitchell products. Never broke a bail spring on the made in France Mitchell 300`s but I did break a couple of handles. Power handles were a lot tougher.

I had 2 Mitchell 300's and most of the people I fished with had Mitchell 300's. I saw lots of broken bail springs. Also used (grooved) line guides too. I only saw one broken handle. But I often replaced the old style spring loaded handle....you remember the one that all you had to do was pull on it so that it would fold towards the spool and take up less space. Anyway, when fighting a strong fish, the handle would sometimes pop out of it's place and fold up. I replaced those handles with the screw type folding handles.

I think that Mitchell was the only company who made a true left handed spinning reel. The line used to wind on in the opposite direction. Many parts were not interchangeable between the right handed and left handed reel.

You left handed guys using spinning reels today have no idea how nice it is to use a real left handed spinning reel. Imagine wanting to pull on your bait or lure without closing the bail. All you have to do is stick out your left forefinger and lift the tip of your rod....the line hooks on to your finger right away. When it's time to open the bail, the bail opens from the right side. If you want to add a bit of extra braking power, all you have to do is place your left forefinger against the edge of the spool.

Do you remember when Berkley even sold preloaded spools that would fit on an adapter on the reel?

Edited by Dabluz

I had like 6 300`s and 300c`s, ya the spring load handles weren`t great, I remember the pre-loaded adapters spools, never used them though. I usually put backing on a large capacity spool because they were metal center and used stren. Had a couple of the small capacity spool center break. I used to flip with them tighten the drag all the way, that`s how the handles broke.