Paudash lake ( Bancroft )

msp

Im was invited up to a freinds cottage for the weekend at Paudash lake. I thought that I would bring the kids up there for a little R & R. I heard that the fishing can be decent for bass. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I dont expect anyone to give away hotspots but some insight and a push in the right direction would be nice.

Thanks,

MIKE

There are Largemouth and Smallmouth in Paudash with the average size being about 1 pound.

Unfortunately there is a large amount of recreational sporting done on the lake (tubing, water skiing)

so there is a lot of pressure on the fish. Also the massive over population of Rock Bass makes it hard to get good numbers of Smallmouth and Largemouth because they take your bait so fast.

I would work the shoreline casting at overhanging trees, weed patches and docks. Some of the areas that look like prime Largemouth territory (large areas with lilly pads) are only 1 - 2 feet deep so if the water temp is above 75 the fish may not be there.

I cottaged on that lake for 4 years.

There is a great rock jumping spot there as well. Ask the locals and they'll tell you where it is.

Try to find green weeds in 9-12 feet of water and you will find the largemouth bass. There is a decent spot to take the kids to the right of Paudash Lake Marina (Lower Paudash). Go half way between the shore and the tip of the island closest to shore. I fished there a couple of weeks ago with the kids trying to get into some perch. To my surprise we ending up catching some good size bass. We were only using basic hook and sinkers under slip floats set at about 6-8 feet eith only half pieces of worms. Good Luck.

If you want to get some perch to "pass the time" then find what is called "blueberry hill" and fish close to it. If you know any of the "Stewart's" up there then tag olong with my uncle's/cousins... ;)

Geoff W