Reels(long casting)

eze76

In a nutshell, yes

In spinning reels, long casting spools tend to be wider in diameter as well as wider between the lip of the spool and the skirt of the spool (the space where the line goes). The idea is to reduce the number of coils coming off the spool in order to reduce friction on the spool lip and the butt guide of the rod.

DSCN0016-1.jpg

The reels in the picture can show you what I mean (albeit a little on the extreme side). The reel in background (the blue one) has a standard spool. The reel in foreground (black one) has a distance/surfcasting spool. Both reels have the same sized body.

The depth of the spool shouldn't make any difference if both reels are loaded up with line almost to the lip. The deep spool will just need more line loaded on it to accomplish that. It's the wide spool "gap" and wide diameter that should make the difference.

Those comparison diagrams are confusing and not quite as useful as MJL's photo.

casting%20dimensions.jpg

The depth of the spool shouldn't make any difference if both reels are loaded up with line almost to the lip. The deep spool will just need more line loaded on it to accomplish that. It's the wide spool "gap" and wide diameter that should make the difference.

Those comparison diagrams are confusing and not quite as useful as MJL's photo.

What he said. The type of line could also make a differance. Years ago everybody used braided Dacron line, and the type of spool that handled it best had a wide diameter but narrow spool. Then along came monofilament and that type of spool like on a Mitchell 300 twisted mono pretty badly, so the long, narrow spool evolved. Now that braided lines are coming back the need to tame line twist isn't such a priority, so deep, narrow spools are starting to show up again.

I've got my order in for one of these, looks like the cat's meow for pier casting.

1596.jpg

What he said. The type of line could also make a differance. Years ago everybody used braided Dacron line, and the type of spool that handled it best had a wide diameter but narrow spool. Then along came monofilament and that type of spool like on a Mitchell 300 twisted mono pretty badly, so the long, narrow spool evolved. Now that braided lines are coming back the need to tame line twist isn't such a priority, so deep, narrow spools are starting to show up again.

I've got my order in for one of these, looks like the cat's meow for pier casting.

1596.jpg

thanks again guys this helps out alot

i learned alot from this post and until this year always fished with spinning wquipment. i am wondering if you are doing losts of casting and retrieving should you be looking at a quality baitcaster. as the line spools directly from the front of the real there is no issue with spool size etc. they take some getting used to and seem to like heavier lures and baits but i find my new quantums will outcast my stradics considerabley. of course i dont know what kind of fishin you are doing...

Ok well i wanna know is there such thing as a long casting reel?

I just noticed --- your avatar is an aqaurium fish! :D (Some variety of barb?)

I'd still-fish for those. Casting isn't necessary. ;)

If I may, with all due respect to eze76 I believe that the fish in his avatar is a Tri-colour Shark.

I looked it up, just for fun...

The family Cyprinidae, from the Ancient Greek κυπρῖνος (kuprīnos "carp")[1], consists of the carps, the true minnows, and their relatives (e.g. the barbs). They are commonly called cyprinids or carp and minnow family. It is the largest family of fresh-water fish, with over 2,400 species in about 220 genera.

So I was kinda in the ball-park --- huge ball-park though! :D

bala_shark.JPG