Big Chute to Severn Falls Fishing

Jofixit

Hi All,

:D

I am new to OFC Community.

I am renting my friend's cottage for the 3rd week in August up in the Severn river. It is located between the Big Chute Marina and Severn Falls.

I am new to this area for fishing and was wondering if anyone would have any idea were would be a spot for some Walleyes. I have only a small 15ft boat with a 10hp motor to fish from. I would like to stay in the area, not go through any locks.

Thanks

So you are above or below the Chute? I fish the upper all the time, never the lower. Find any type of decent drop off into 20+ft of water and you shouldn't have any problems finding eyes.. Current breaks etc. Wally divers and shad raps work good from what I've been told.

Can't give you any specifics, but I did nail a 9 pounder out there last year trolling a gigantor musky bait off of a rocky point. Fished below the chute earlier this year and buddy got a 9 pounder in gloucester pool while we were pike fishing! Unusally big fish for those waters I would say. I have fished that stretch 2 times this year and the fishing has been so-so. Likely my next trip will be to a different spot

So you are above or below the Chute? I fish the upper all the time, never the lower. Find any type of decent drop off into 20+ft of water and you shouldn't have any problems finding eyes.. Current breaks etc. Wally divers and shad raps work good from what I've been told.

The map I have looks like the upper of the Big Chute. The cottage is by "Chads Island".

Looks like I will have to look into buying a portable fishfinder or does anyone know where I could get a water depth map?

Also, could I get to Tea lake by boat, or do I have to trailer it on & off only?

Any info on this lake too would be greatly appricated!!

Thanks

Can't give you any specifics, but I did nail a 9 pounder out there last year trolling a gigantor musky bait off of a rocky point. Fished below the chute earlier this year and buddy got a 9 pounder in gloucester pool while we were pike fishing! Unusally big fish for those waters I would say. I have fished that stretch 2 times this year and the fishing has been so-so. Likely my next trip will be to a different spot

I will be on the Upper side of the Chute.

Looks like my job is cut out for me?!

Maybe, trolling with body baits would be the best way to go.

Sounds like I could cover all the kinds of fish.

Thanks

the good news is we caught the big pickerel only across the bay from chad's island (now I remember the name)! There are all kinds of little bays off the main channel that can entertain with pike and bass. We've caught a few incidental pickerel and I had a guy with me who got into some crappies too not too far from the train bridge.

the good news is we caught the big pickerel only across the bay from chad's island (now I remember the name)! There are all kinds of little bays off the main channel that can entertain with pike and bass. We've caught a few incidental pickerel and I had a guy with me who got into some crappies too not too far from the train bridge.

West of the bridge towards the chute there is a narrow section that has some current. Really nice dropoffs there.

between dinnertime rapids and woods bay there is also a bluff shoreline. I've seen the pickerel guys sitting there before.

Yup, that north shoreline (if I have my directions right) is really nice. Shear dropoffs all the way out until the river widens...

I've caught some big smallies tossing the docks right at the dinner time rapids. Might wanna try a few tube jigs/topwaters at dusk. Nice pike in there also.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Had a great time fishing between the Big Chute & Severn Falls for a week.

The wife and I caught TONS of fish!!!!

We mostly caught Black Crappies, about a stringer & a half just before dusk.

We also caught Pike, Bass and only 2 Pickerel.

The Pickerel were hard to come by, but I tried that new "Slow Death Roll" hook and that's when they hit.

(But, I put them back were to small.)

The biggest Pike I caught was a 31" and I was fishing early in the morning by myself.

(No camera in the boat!!) :angry:

Here are some pics.

All the fish look small compared to me!!!! ;)

Thx 2 Rizzo & BillM

Having problems with uploading the pics.

I will try later.