If I have a 3500lb trailer that says 2" on the tongue

fisher

Getting a new hitch on a new truck and noticed my existing hitch on my old truck has a 1 7/8" ball but the tongue on my boat trailer says 3500 lb, Class II, and 2"....is/was that okay?

I figure if I get another hitch I might want to keep it at the 1 7/8" ball so I can use the hitch to trailer smaller trailers that may only have a 1 7/8" tongue.

Thanks.

If by CHANCE you have a hitch failure with an undersized ball, you could run into insurance issues if it's determined things weren't sized properly. That 1/8" could be the difference between your trailer staying attached our not in event of an accident. Your chains will help in that case, however you don't want to be in that position in the first place.

Probably a headache to try and avoid.

As Raf suggested, and I am assuming this is a receiver style hitch? Just pick up two inserts and get a 1 7/8" ball on one, and a 2" ball on the other. Princess Auto is as good a place as any to get these cheap!

DO NOT attempt to tow a trailer with a 2" tongue coupler on a 1/7/8" ball!

I always carry both sizes as you never know when you might need to hook up a smaller trailer.

After some internet searching you are right - this is a no-no.

I switched trailers after a few years of getting my boat and took it for granted that the place that sold me the trailer would have noticed the difference in ball and the tongue. It is not until now that I noticed the difference.

Hopefully this thread might trigger others to double check their ball and tongue.

NO don't do it !!!!!!!!!!!

The first time I borrowed the F-I-L's boat I also used his truck and he had a 1 7/8's ball which he had always used to tow his boat with. Well I was on my way to pickup my buddy to go fishing and had to take an overpass that had a nice smooth bump in it which kind of acted like a slingshot effect and off came the trailer, good thing for good safety chains or the boat could've ended up on top of the traffic below. The bow of the boat just destroyed the tailgate of the truck by banging into it 6-7 times as I was using it to slow down the trailer.

Edited by wallyboss

You can get hitch inserts that are universal, where the same hitch insert has 1 7/8, 2" and the next size up whatever it is. All you have to do is rotate the hitch insert. I have seen it of construction trucks mainly.

Just get a 2" ball....

Never tow a trailer with a wrong sized ball....

Thanks for making me think that every time I am behind a trailer.... It might be you with a 2" tongue and a 1 7/8 ball.

LOL

Lust be safe

Edited by Just_Me