Estimating age of SMB

JohnF

Thanks JP. I'm just trying to get a handle on what stage of spawning we're at around here. I've been prowling the creeks a couple of times lately and haven't seen any sign of nests or pregnant females.

Here's another question. Typically, how long do the parents sit guard the nests after the little ones get active, or do they?

JF

Found some data:

When a female enters the male's territory, a complex dance occurs, with the pair rubbing and biting each other. The actual act of spawning occurs in about 5 seconds, and is repeated for up to 2 hours. Females lay upwards of 2,000 eggs at each spawning (Smith, 1979). After spawning is complete, the female is chased off, and will occasionally mate again with another male. The eggs hatch in 4-6 days, and the fry remain in the nest for approximately two weeks before dispersing (Neves, 1975; Scott and Crossman, 1998).

Breeding/spawning season

Spawning typically occurs between March and May. Onset is based mainly on degree-days, when temperatures exceed 10°C (Shuter et al., 1980). In the extreme northern tail of its distribution, spawning may be delayed a month, and begin in April and run through June.

Time to hatching

2 to 3 days

Time to independence

2 weeks (average)

Age at sexual or reproductive maturity (female)

3 to 4 years

Age at sexual or reproductive maturity (male)

3 to 4 years

Here's the source for smallmouths:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...s_dolomieu.html

Here are some other fish:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...trarchidae.html

It seems like a decent and relevant resource for us in Ontario.

JF

"When a female enters the male's territory, a complex dance occurs, with the pair rubbing and biting each other. The actual act of spawning occurs in about 5 seconds, and is repeated for up to 2 hours.

After spawning is complete, the female is chased off, and will occasionally mate again with another male."

Reminds me of my ex-wife! :D

Hey John,

Ive seen them paired up most years during the Trout Opener on the Bayfield River so they are at it much earlier then most people suspect. The male Smallmouth actually guards the nest and fry and its upwards of 3 weeks. Ive seen video of young fry swim into the mouth of their father for protection.

Some great pics of the act have been documented by Kim Stricker of Hook N Look. Below is a link to the Gallery.

Link

I have a few smallies mounted on my wall

the 23" comes From Gull Lake in the Temagami area.... the taxidermist told me that is was 22 yrs old or so

due to the cold water and clarity ..

I have a 22" from Lake Nipissing done by the same taxidermist.. he told me that that smallie was no older than 10 yrs..warmer and darker water

I asked how he could tell??

Kinda like the growth rings on a tree... apparently you can count the growth rings on their scales.

Randy from Sturgeon

:canadian:

I asked how he could tell??

Kinda like the growth rings on a tree... apparently you can count the growth rings on their scales.

Randy from Sturgeon

That's true, but it's only effective for the first few years. Things like wear and calcium reabsorption can quickly bias scale readings of older fish. By the time a bass reaches 10, they are long past being reliably aged with scales. You end up with a rough guess at best. At that point, the only way to get a good reading is to section an otolith (ear stone), which is considerably more difficult and equipment intensive.

Edited by Burning Babies

That's true, but it's only effective for the first few years. Things like wear and calcium reabsorption can quickly bias scale readings of older fish. By the time a bass reaches 10, they are long past being reliably aged with scales. You end up with a rough guess at best. At that point, the only way to get a good reading is to section an otolith (ear stone), which is considerably more difficult and equipment intensive.

COOL :)

Thanks for the info.....

But doesn't the water temps slow down growth?.... It does in my aquarium...or maybe it stunts the growth?

again thanks for the "rings" info.

RFS

But doesn't the water temps slow down growth?.... It does in my aquarium...or maybe it stunts the growth?

Yes, colder water will slow growth (if it's below optimal temperature), so a large difference in growth is quite possible. Food quality and availability, stress, and reproductive activity can also affect growth.

Very Interesting post, some good reading. Thanks guys. I figured a stream/river Smallmouth thats 20 inches would be a lot older than a Smallmouth from a lake that is 20 inches. I also am thinking that a stream/river Smallmouth would be longer and thinner in general than a lake fish. Fighting that current sure aint fun lol. I'm guessing also that the Smallmouth are younger the further south you go. Maybe they're "stupider" and easier to catch.

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels