HOLY CRAPPIE!

limeyangler

Hi All,

Went out on Monday on Lake Wabigoon with the intention of getting some walleye. I was in a couple of small lakes off the main body of water hioping the walleye had moved onto one particular mid water hump. Alas no walleye yet.

So plan B was to cast for bass with topwaters, 2 follows but no takers....so to plan C.

We have noticed a real explosion in the crappie population in one of the lakes, and have been catching them frequently, if not incidentally while fishing for walleye, so i decided to actually try and target them. To cut a long story short the pattern seemed to be, find the bays with a grassy like weed, set your slip bobber to 2' and away you go....all nice size too.

I did try using a powerbait microtube as bait as i was ripping through minnows because of the abundant perch and small pike also inhabiting the bays in the grass. Once again i have to say that the claim that powerbait/gulp outfishes live bait is far fetched in my experience, and whilst i did catch some, the bite was not as aggressive or as frequent as with the live minnows.

MONDAYS FISH WERE ALL AROUND THE 13" RANGE

IMG_3958.jpg

So.....Monday i layed a slaying on the Crappie, i only kept 4 as i realised as i was putting them on the stringer i had no idea how many made up the legal limit, i knew it was more than 4 (12 or 15 i think) but being uncertain decided to be cautious. I wanted to go back to see if there was an actual pattern or whether i had just lucked out, so i headed back there yesterday(thursday)

Turns out it was not luck and the ticket was to find the grassy weed bays and set the bobber shallow. It seemed that they were only on the east shore of the lake too, as i tried across the other side first to test my hypothesesiseseises ....lol...however you spell that.

Anyway, now armed with the knowledge that you can legally keep 15 in Zone 5, and with the killer tactic worked out, i put another beating on them crappie, although i did only keep 6, as they are big and i dont need 15 to feed my family....here's some video of the action........

CRAPPIE DAY.....LOL