Brook trout River Fishing

Well this trip was from June 9th. Get to the river and conditions look perfect. Water really low which means the trout will be starting to concentrate. Problem is water is still only 58 degrees. Coldest I can remember for June In an ideal world the temp would be 65 or 66. Black flies were kept to a minimum on the river as it rained of and on all day and was fairly windy.

I started off fly fishing but noticed only tiddlers were rising consistantly. Has a good whack on a olive bow river bugger but it was a short strike. Couldnt move anything else in the first run so I switched up to a sunshine yellow bow river and was rewarded on my second cast through the run with a nice 13" speck(sorry no photo camera was down with my buddy jon at the canoe.

Couldnt get anything else to move to the fly and the water was cold so I thought I would switch up to the dew. Walk down river some and theres my buddy Jon flyfishing with a big grin on his face. Hes new to fly fishing even though I sold him his sage 10 years ago. He fishing a caddis emerger and nailing tiddlers (6-8") fish every other cast. I think i could have let him stay there the whole day and he would have been happy taking smal fish on the surface.

Bigger fish were not taking to the fly at all so we both switched over to dew worms and continued. Well the dew certainly made the difference we starting nailing 12-14 inch fish all over the place.

Some action shots

Jon ready for a drift into a promishing pool

btjon001.jpg

Le reward

btjon002.jpg

Mon self your guide Jean guy de Trout

btbrad.jpg

Varios shots of fish

btjon003.jpg

btjon005.jpg

Slippery fish

slippery.jpg

bradslip.jpg

Nice shot of the colours

btjon004.jpg

Now last year right around the same time on the same stretch of river I got Jon into his biggest ever stream brooky 16 solid inches of beautiful salvelinus Heres a photo of that fish

100_1453.jpg

I fkept telling him not to be suprised if we broke that PB for him and sure enough we get to a run I call power grub run(Cause Ive caught some good BT out of it on a power grub of coarse) and BOOM Jon is into a fish. He tells me its very good ...very very good. Better than last years fish

18btjon.jpg

As the fish gets closer hes say oh crap it barely hooked but its every bit of 18+ inches. I start taking pics hoping something turns out

This is probably the best one were you can somewhat see the fish

18btjonloss.jpg

He gets it to shore and I ask him to hold it by the gut so I can get a good picture and sure enough pop off comes the hook and this is the best shot I got as the fish swam to freedom

18btjon02.jpg

I got a good look at the fish and fir sure if we got a tape on it it would have blew his 16" out of the water but no tape on the fish Jon which means your PB is still 16. Now that fish can go back and hopefully live for another couple of years and break my record out of that river

23"

Brad1-1.jpg

With the cool temps BT fishing might till be good yet till the end of the month.

Edited by Musky or Specks