Been Busy Fishing the North Saskatchewan River

holdfast

Well I decided to spend a couple hours fishing the North Saskatchewan River 5 minutes from my House. This River Flows West to East passing through Edmonton, close to LLoydminster AB then into Saskatchewan through North Battleford, Prince Albert hooks up to the South Saskatchewan River and ends up in Lake Winnipeg.

I figured Id try some relaxing Shore fishing using Bait quit like the carpers. There are Big Pickerel, Pike, Goldeneye, Burbot and Sturgeon as well as other Species I don't know about. Ive only ever seen one Boat on this River since moving here.

Driving through Downtown. I will cross the Bridge and fish the South Side where the Town of Battleford is located. When I fish I will look directly towards North Battleford.

P6170045.jpg

Lots of trucking Jobs. Anybody wants to haul Grain

P6160016.jpg

Any type of Freight. Hes heading West towards LLoydminster then Edmonton

P6160029.jpg

Have no fear Ontario. We Love our trucks which is a hot market out here

P6160015.jpg

Time to Fuel up at the Coop

P6160014.jpg

P6160017.jpg

What a Panoramic view

P6170046.jpg

Looking towards Battleford

P6170048.jpg

Crossing the River

P6160020.jpg

On Shore looking at the Southbound Bridge I just came from

Now Ive found my fishing spot IM comfortable in my chair enjoying the Scenery. Its between 2100 and 2300Hrs and its hot

This is my Rig, 12 ft Browning Rod Light action and an old Mitchell 300 I found in the Garbage. A Pickerel rig with Frozen minnows. How can the fish resist. Due to current about 5 Bell sinkers at the Snap end of the Rig

P6160037.jpg

P6160034.jpg

Only thing missing is some Southern Comfort. But I don't drink the day before work. Not ever. Kind of got used to the eight hour rule in the Army. No Drink 8 hours before Duty otherwise you will be charged. Its too bad. The local Radio station is playing good Classic Rock Tunes. Yea WEEPING WIDOW DONT YOU CRY..NA, NA, NA, _____NAAA YEA

P6170057.jpg

Gorgeous Scenery. Sure Beats looking across the St Lawrence R towards Mtl from the South shore in St. Lambert. Check out the Sand Bars. Kind of reminds me of the Fraser River. Sturgeon Territory.

P6160023.jpg

P6160024.jpg

P6160025.jpg

P6160030.jpg

P6170055.jpg

P6170056.jpg

You Know if I was ever stuck here on the weekend Id probably do what those Guys are doing on the North Battleford side of the River. A Fire and some night fishing. Its the weekend so Id have my wife drop me off and pick me up.

P6160036.jpg

Had a few Bites, but no fish. But a Bonus was the Biggest beaver I ever seen in my life Gnawing away maybe 15 meters from me.

P6160031.jpg

P6170054.jpg

P6170049.jpg

P6170050.jpg

Ahh Food, I can hear him gnawing away

P6170053.jpg

Getting Dark so its time to go Home

P6160041-1.jpg

Home sweet home

P6160044-1.jpg

Yea I caught nothing but I'm starting to figure this River out. I'm going to try something different next week. Less Weight, Smaller Hooks, no Pickerel rig, just a hook and sinker above the minnow. let you know how it turns out.

Rob, nice pics of my hometown. Be there in a week. The one pic looking back across the river into North Battleford shows the highrises where my mom now lives.

When Rob Cook and I fished the river last year in his boat, we used a 2/0 pickeral rig with minnows with about a 6 ounce pyramid weight on the bottom. We launched his boat down at the launch on the north bank east of the northbound bridge the one time and the other time we launched at the Paynton ferry. Talked to Rob's wife Deanna the other day and guess they are having good luck out on the river. Good luck and I will look you up when I get there.

HF-I think you have been away from Mtl for too long. Looking across from St Lambert gives you a beautiful view of dtn Mtl with Mont Royal as the back drop

All I remember is rusty old Tankers Passing by and taking a condom off my hook that I snagged. Although I seen my Buddie clean about a 20lb Pike with a two pound Brown Trout in his stomach, caught near the Lachine Rapids. Is there still trout in those waters?

Rob, nice pics of my hometown. Be there in a week. The one pic looking back across the river into North Battleford shows the highrises where my mom now lives.

When Rob Cook and I fished the river last year in his boat, we used a 2/0 pickeral rig with minnows with about a 6 ounce pyramid weight on the bottom. We launched his boat down at the launch on the north bank east of the northbound bridge the one time and the other time we launched at the Paynton ferry. Talked to Rob's wife Deanna the other day and guess they are having good luck out on the river. Good luck and I will look you up when I get there.

You know, if you have your Boat up there, Take me on the River and Ill take you to Big River. Boating on that river can leave me some more options. I hate to admit it, but I think I would be nervous trying it out alone for the first time. I have no Idea what that River is like, but I do know you got to know what your doing. Seen a couple of kids, the only Boat I ever saw out there come in with pictures of a Sturgeon and Pickerel that they had caught and released.