Sign in to follow this  

What are 'spreaders'?

I've seen a few people mention bait spreaders in relation to ice fishing but I can't find what they are in any of the books/mags I've got.

What are they? Do I need one for Lake Simcoe? Are they for a particular way of fishing or for targetting a particular species?

Cheers

Esentially it is a waited "rig" that can have several, usually 2 or 3 extending wire "branches" which have hooks on them. Minnows are usually stuck on them and are used for a variety of fishing...

Here is an article from another site about making your own.

http://www.fishontario.com/icefishing/arti...4028&page=1

They light ones work good for whitefish with the hooks and arms positioned up so the minnows are up off the bottom.

One word of caution, if putting a "high hook" (5-15 ft up the line) for lakers or suspended whitefish, be careful handlining the last few feet it the fish runs-ouch.

I stopped using spreaders ... too much twisting and tangling .... I have found I get much more action on a single hook with a split shot above the minnow ... ok ..I'll admit it ... sometimes theres a stinger involved for bigger baits (laid in the mud) but the spreaders seem to be more trouble and I dont like the 'clunky' look.. it seems to me the smaller fish get confused watching the minnows chase each other in circles .... and I think it scares away the bigger wiser fish :)

I guess its all about confidence really ...