Carp Fishing in Windsor Area

largefish

Can you tell me when is the best time to fish for carp (time of the year) and what rig should I use if I want to fish on a float? I live in the Windsor area and I was fishing using a float a few days ago on Little River (canal), but caught only Perch, Rock Bass, White Bass, and Pumpkinseed. I caught most of those on worms and I tried using bread dough and some cheese but did not catch anything on that. I was expecting to catch some carp on the bread dough but no luck. Is it the time of the year when carp will bite or not and can you suggest some good spots for carp fishing in the Windsor area?

hey LB.... i am pretty new to carp fishing ( just started last year) and I know this... the carp feed on the bottom....

I use a float when i am fishing for rainbows and crappies...

NOW is the time to be fishing for carp...

my daughter and I use doughballs on #10 hooks( no leader) for carp and let it rest on the bottom..

patience is the key, especially when you see the line move a little...

I am bumping this topic up, because there are some SERIOUS carp dudes here that will be of great service to you. ( they helped me tremendously)..

good luck, and welcome to the board...

Splashopper and botbot

Chanellesmonstercatch.jpg

Yes all you regulars here, i KNOW I have posted this pic of my daughter with her first fish ever....

but it is because of the help here that we keep trying to beat that one ...lol

thanks again

Edited by splashhopper

Chum the area that you want to fish with corn, throw a handfull every half an hour to an hour or so.

Then put some on your hook and cast where you chummed and keep it on the bottom.

Thats the simplest way to catch them, oh yea and stay close to your rod, when these guys hit your rod goes flying.

Thank you for the replies splashhopper and Marko. I was fishing the bottom of the canal, but what I did not do was first attract the carp by throwing some food at the spot I want to fish them before going to fish (chum). I know there is carp in this canal since they had fishing tournaments where team USA would compete against team Canada. Here is a link to the page that talks about the tournament and fish that can be caught: http://www.carpecarpio.com/canam2001matchfishing.html There is even goldfish in the canal and Koi from people that let them go in the canal from their ponds, but those rarely bite or maybe I have not used the right bait for them yet. :) I joined this forum to learn more about the different fishing techniques and find new spots for fishing since I could not find any website that lists good spots for shore fishing tested by other fishermen near Windsor or any other city in Ontario for that matter.

Edited by LargeBass

Float fishing is one of the most productive methods to fish carp. Here is an article that may help.http://www.fishonlineca.com/Float-Fishing/Float-Fishing-Techniques/Float-Fishing-for-Carp.html

I read the article and it does help. I may have to look for a new rod since the longest one that I currently have is 7' long and for float fishing it should be around 13' so that the line is not floating on the water. Right now, I cannot cast far away the float or the line has too much slack and floats on top of the water. The 13 footers are quite expensive, they're in the $100-$150 range. For this money you could buy 4x 7' rods. I know they're longer and more specialized, but still. Also, they do not sell 13' rods in Canadian Tire or Walmart here where I live but I heard that smaller specialty shops do have them so I will go and take a look at what they have.

Edited by LargeBass

Largebass, there are many ways to catch carp and if you are just getting started, I suggest you just try to stick with the simplest method. See what works for you, and what doesn't, before spending tons of $$ on something you realize isn't for you. You don't necessarily need a 13' rod to float fish, your 7' would do just fine for now.

Essentially all my carp fishing is by ledgering (still fishing on the bottom), for starters, as Marko said earlier, get some canned corn, chum some out, put some on your hook (or you can learn how to make a hair rig), and hold on tight to your rod.

Do let us know how you make out, even when you don't catch a fish.

Float fishing for carp on moving water is not easy. If you are just starting, ledgering is the way to go. I'd suggest you to do this,

- Put a 1.5 - 2 oz egg sinker on your line,

- Tie a swirl below the sinker,

- Tie a piece of line (leader) on the swirl, you can use the same line as the main line but most people use something with a bit less breaking strength (this is so when you snag, you lose only the leader/hook.

- Tie a size 6 - 12 hook at the end of leader. ( I would use size 8 or 10 to start with )

- Thread some canned corn (1 to 3 kernels, depending on your hook size). You can leave the hook point exposed for easier hook up, but should hide the hook point when you get shy bites.

- Cast out to where you want to fish. An area of slack water in a river is nice if you can find it.

- Throw one to two handfuls of canned corn about 3 to 5 yards (depending on the flow) upstream from where your hook bait is. The idea is to get them settle near your hook bait.

- Throw another handful of canned corn every 20 to 30 minutes, or after every fish you can hooked into (landed or not).

And last but the most important thing is -- keep your rod close to hand. I have seen rods pulled into water by a 2lb carp even though the anglers thought they are very close to the rod. We're talking about less than 1 second respond time. OR, open your bail arm if the water flow doesn't pull line out, even better yet, use a baitrunner reel but that is NOT necessary.

About bite indication? Well, you'll know when you get a bite ;-) Hope this makes sense.

Thank you for the replies splashhopper and Marko. I was fishing the bottom of the canal, but what I did not do was first attract the carp by throwing some food at the spot I want to fish them before going to fish (chum). I know there is carp in this canal since they had fishing tournaments where team USA would compete against team Canada. Here is a link to the page that talks about the tournament and fish that can be caught: http://www.carpecarpio.com/canam2001matchfishing.html There is even goldfish in the canal and Koi from people that let them go in the canal from their ponds, but those rarely bite or maybe I have not used the right bait for them yet. :) I joined this forum to learn more about the different fishing techniques and find new spots for fishing since I could not find any website that lists good spots for shore fishing tested by other fishermen near Windsor or any other city in Ontario for that matter.

Once the match fishermen spoil your carp with their fancy tactics, you won't catch them quite so easy anymore. Good luck bud. My carp are still carp. I use corn on a hook on bottom, and a split shot.

Once the match fishermen spoil your carp with their fancy tactics, you won't catch them quite so easy anymore. Good luck bud. My carp are still carp. I use corn on a hook on bottom, and a split shot.

True. They spoiled all the carp. :D That's OK, I just have to be more patient. So far, I've had success bass fishing with spinner baits and enjoy it a lot since it provides a lot of action, but I started recently fishing this canal and wanted to see what it holds - just to mix it up a little bit. I fished for a long time on worms with a heavy lead weight without a float and caught some nice-sized white bass, perch, and catfish and some smallmouth bass, but I prefer being able to see when the fish strikes and have a better feel for it rather than cast and wait for the tip of the rod to start jumping. :P