Tomorrow - maybe

JohnF

I'll post a pic of the spinner that caught all the fishies today. I thought it was a cheapo piece of junk. Evidently the fish didn't agree. So much for relying on the high end gear.

JF

Be careful, don't you realize that this is a fishing board, and we live for high end gear???? :D

Probably wasn't the spinner. It was most likely the Fluorocarbon leader that accounted for all of the fish..

No fluoro leader. In fact I was tied direct to red 15# Power Pro and the water was nearly gin clear were it was running. The protected areas were less clear which may have just been carp mucking up the silty bottom.

Here's the spinner I was using, a Worden Roostertail. It's small with a 3/4" blade.

HPIM0441.jpg

It was most tempting when I just did a steady fairly fast retrieve over a rocky bottom in about 1-2' of water. The lure ran just below the surface and I could see it the whole way in so I knew when it was being tapped. I'd been trying everything else at first, varying speeds, letting it flutter to the bottom every 10', etc, but then a really huge rock bass hit it almost at the surface and I went to the steady retrieve. I felt guilty about all the little smb's I was catching. I finally quit when they started hitting it in a fairly fast shallow riffle almost the instant it hit the water. It just wasn't fair. Now I want to figure out how to upsize without adding too much weight for the bigger boys.

In any case for any of you who want to give your kids a fun time casting and retrieving, these might be the ticket.

I remember now that I got a couple of these on sale at Dick's Sports in Cleveland. I think they were something like $1.50 or $1.99 at the time.

The hooks are way small for the bigger fish and they'll get swallowed. I thought I was gonna have to go up the rock bass's anus to get the one he took.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Those lures suck and should never be used by anybody!!! :angry:

... but if you feel you must!... adjust your drag for the hook, not the line or the rod and you can pull in some pretty nice size little ones! ;)

The one you have is a 1/16th oz. Black in what they call the "Red Hook" Roostertail.

My absolute favorite color pattern for clear water is the Whitecoachdog in either the 1/16 or 1/8 oz size.

DSC01489.jpg

This fish was pulled in on a 1/8 oz. (the next size up from the one you were using) WCD on 4lb. test and ultra lite tackle... if you see that wall and grating in one of my reports, I'm throwing one of those sucky Roostertails!

Here's a link to BPS's assortment of Roostertails:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...00_false_25___1

They come in sizes from 1/24 to 1 oz... but if your fish are like mine you won't be able to up size too much until they stop biting it, I guess it doesn't look natural enough. A drop of Crawfish scent on the tail works wonders if the fish become picky!

Buy lots and lots of them!!!

Edited by GCD

They come in sizes from 1/24 to 1 oz... but if your fish are like mine you won't be able to up size too much until they stop biting it, I guess it doesn't look natural enough. A drop of Crawfish scent on the tail works wonders if the fish become picky!

Thanks. I'm sold.

JF

Those lures suck and should never be used by anybody!!! :angry:

... but if you feel you must!... adjust your drag for the hook, not the line or the rod and you can pull in some pretty nice size little ones! ;)

The one you have is a 1/16th oz. Black in what they call the "Red Hook" Roostertail.

My absolute favorite color pattern for clear water is the Whitecoachdog in either the 1/16 or 1/8 oz size.

DSC01489.jpg

This fish was pulled in on a 1/8 oz. (the next size up from the one you were using) WCD on 4lb. test and ultra lite tackle... if you see that wall and grating in one of my reports, I'm throwing one of those sucky Roostertails!

Here's a link to BPS's assortment of Roostertails:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...00_false_25___1

You just love showing off that beauty fish eh GCD. :lol:

A similar bait, with a single hook, is a spinnerbait.

You retain the spinning blade and body shape, plus the single hook is easier to remove and less snag prone than the trebles.

I don't know how they work for Stripers, I caught all mine on chicken livers...grin, but LM/SMBass and WGSF love spinnerbaits.

It might be hard to find really small spinnerbaits in most tackle stores, but Strike King makes their KVD model in 3/16 ounce, and at least one other company in the BPS catalog makes a 1/8 ounce spinnerbait. If no one else here can suggest a source, your friend could order some for you.