Freshwater Drum

Jonny

Posted this recipe for Sheepshead a week or two ago. Worth repeating.

....."The best way to cook sheephead is wrapped in horse manure, then,unwrap it and throw the sheephead away and eat the horse manure." :)

Greatest recipe ever! :lol:

Posted this recipe for Sheepshead a week or two ago. Worth repeating.

....."The best way to cook sheephead is wrapped in horse manure, then,unwrap it and throw the sheephead away and eat the horse manure." :)

I'll skip your fishfries.

I guarantee that many would not be able to tell the difference between drum and walleye.

On a slightly different note: Ever see someone cover their freshly caught and cooked walleye in enough ketchup to make a seven year old choke??? Makes me want to give them freezer-burnt fishsticks.

I'll skip your fishfries.

I guarantee that many would not be able to tell the difference between drum and walleye.

On a slightly different note: Ever see someone cover their freshly caught and cooked walleye in enough ketchup to make a seven year old choke??? Makes me want to give them freezer-burnt fishsticks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I see it with all the food in my house

I should also change the program to translate it to "bourgot" then, which is the correct spelling of that word.

Hey that's a new one. In french we use the term Malachigan... A literal translation would deam this fish the "Wrong Bass" or... "Dang ugly Bass"!!

I'd eat em, but only if I was half starved and didn't much care about my sperm count...

cheers

HD

I'd eat em, but only if I was half starved and didn't much care about my sperm count...

Well that depends where you catch 'em --- not Hamilton Harbour that's for sure! :P

The crustaceans and molluscs they eat probably glow in the dark!

Tastes very much channel cat. I just don't keep them because they are usually covered in parasites when I catch them. Probably completely safe... just can't get my mind past it.

lol you sound like my grandfather who always refused to try eating grackle (blackbird) breasts that i always used to fry up. those little birds are ugly but they sure taste good. much like dove and pigeon. starling and red winged blackbirds also taste very good. even sparrow tastes good. i met some greek hunters who hunted them and you get 2 tiny little breasts...

sucker was the first fish "you arent supposed to eat" that i fried up. it was a small 1lb fish and it tasted great. carp was next and it was good as well. i planned on keeping a sheephead i caught recently but didnt want to keep it on the stringer for a few more hours. if i had a cooler and ice it woulda been a different story :whistling:

im thinking its firmness would be good for smoking, but would it dry out too much?

You're right, to a large extent it's simply state of mind.

What's surprising is that catfish and ling have survived their dang ugly looks as far as being considered acceptable table fare is concerned, while drum, which are a much more "regular-looking" fish, have such a lousy hearsay reputation for eating.