Trolling motor help

mistaredone

I would assume that your wires are connected backwards. Most wires are colour coded, the red should be attached to the positive terminal, the black should be attached to the negative terminal. If you reverse this your motor will spin backwards.

I have followed every wire on the boat and yeah there is a crap load of them and none are mis matched. my last resort is switching the wires at the plug but im worried ill blow the motor or something. Musky opener in a few hours and im playing high stakes.

Rotate the lower unit 180* it reverses the polarity ...this will make it go in the right direction...

I've read up on it and it seems to be a common problem........

I assume that the motor was taken apart and not put back together the right way.

RFS

I have followed every wire on the boat and yeah there is a crap load of them and none are mis matched. my last resort is switching the wires at the plug but im worried ill blow the motor or something. Musky opener in a few hours and im playing high stakes.

Are you running the electric motor off its own battery? It is best not to run it off your main battery. If your boat is properly wired for an electic motor it should not be a problem to distinguish the electric motor wires from the other wires. The wire for the electric motor will be a much heavier gauge than the other wires.

It is quite possible that wire are conntected to the plug incorrectly.

Somewhere in that mess, your motor wires are crossed. Keep looking, and you'll find it. It could very well be your plug is wired up wrong too. Reverse your wires on the battery and see what happens.

Sinker