Kicker question on the transome

LeXXington

Hi All:

So I upgraded my boat too a 40hp 4s over the winter.. Wow what a differece in speed, and power.

The problem is now that I have the bigger engine my walleye fishing has a slight problem. Even in the lowest gear I am going to fast.

To solve it so far I put out a drag bag but its hard to drive and I still burn the gas. I have access to a 2.5hp kicker and thinking of buying off a friend or should I get a trolling plate?

Couple questions, will my transom handle the extra weight when driving around with a 2.5 or would a trolling plate be a better investment.

Thanks all

A 2.5HP can't weigh that much however, I would remove it for trailering just to be safe and keep it from flopping around. With the 2.5, you have a back up motor just in case the other fails you, trolling plates don't do too much for mobility.

I beleive its an injected motor with no idle adjustment but you are right it should troll pretty slow..But the 2.5 should fit no problem and if you need the steering bar and a motor lock let me know.I have both of them kicking around gathering dust.

Dan

If you can get a good used one, get the 2.5 HP, hands down. You won`t be sorry.

The weight won`t be a problem and as long as you can jury-rig a transom attachment, you`ll be fine, I think.

You can troll as slow as you want, and whether you steer with a wheel or with the tiller, you can leave the 40 HP down and steer with it. Just snug the 2.5 so it`s hard to turn and it should hold position.

You`ll save gas, maybe quite a bit, and you`ll have an emergency motor if you have problems with the 40.

I use a 2 HP as a kicker interchangeably on an aluminum Princecraft 15`and a fibreglas Crestliner 16` bowrider, and I wouldn`t be without it.