Cordova Lake weekend trip

frozen-fire

Special thanks to Bigworm and redsfishin for providing me with helpful advice on fishing this lake.

We had an awesome time at the cottage, but the horrible weather kept me off the water most of the time.

Friday was the best day. Awesome blue skies with rolling clouds here and there. It was great to spend time away from work and the city ... just relax in comfort with clean fresh air and the great outdoors.

cordovalake2.jpg

cordovalake14.jpg

Wind didn't really get that bad yet, decided to take the boat out (provided with the cottage) and explore the areas of the lake close to the cottage as it was getting late already.

Majority of the lake seemed very deep and barren (didn't have fishfinder so don't know depth or structure below the surface)

Found a nice flat shallow area with good weed growth, located some drop offs and starting throwing some jigs looking for eyes. Well...didn't get anything but a very chunky world's greatest sport fish.

rockbass.jpg

We motored back to the dock and went inside for some food and drinks.

While the sun was setting, my girlfriend and I took the canoe out and paddled our way towards the crowe river inlet where there was some good structure. I tried my luck while she paddled me around but didn't end up with anything other than two small OOS smallies.

Seeing the sun go down over the lake made me want to head out to the dock and make a couple casts.

I was hoping for an eye, but this smallish pike came out of no where and put up a great fight! I'm still surprised how many times it cleared the water when I was trying to bring it in. This little guy probably gave me the most fight out of any pike I've caught. I thought it was pretty tired out from the fight, but during the release, it shot off like a bullet and left me wet.

cordovalake10.jpg

cordovalake11.jpg

Cordova Lake sunset

cordovalake7.jpg

cordovalake15.jpg

Saturday and Sunday were both very disappointing in terms of weather. It got really cold and wet... the wind was ridiculous too. Didn't want to take chances taking the boat out, so just tried from shore a few times off the dock with no luck against the wind.

It even hailed Saturday night and Sunday morning.

cordovalake28.jpg

This seems like a good small lake to fish. If the weather was more pleasant, I'm sure there would be more of a report. Definitely a lack of fish, but I said I would post a report, so here it is :)

Great report frozen fire! Just like last spring, this one is pretty windy with temps all over the map. No use risking dumping your canoe in waters like that on those windy days! You got out of the city, relaxed and caught a few fish...still a good weekend in my books!