Rouge River Marsh

tonka

Where? Can you post something like 407 & 48 to give others an idea to help out?

the topic is titled "Rouge River Marsh" i thought that was pretty specific.

i've never fished there, but if it's anything like the duffin's marsh, you'll get catfish, carp, panfish, the odd bass, pike in the spring, then obviously trout when they come in to spawn in the spring and salmon in the fall.

the topic is titled "Rouge River Marsh" i thought that was pretty specific.

Ya see, I have never fished there NOR do I know the area. I figured if I asked what I did then maybe someone would offer some good info to help out. After all, the post had zero replies vs. what was read so I guessed if I posted a reply and bumped it to the top it might get a decent reply... But who am I to judge...

I grew up fishing the Rouge marsh as a kid. Caught my very first fish there (yellow perch). I've caught carp, bullheads, smallies, pike, rock bass, yellow perch, pumpkinseed sunfish, steelhead, white perch, smelt and suckers there in the past. Seen other anglers catch the odd sheephead there too. Haven't fished it much for about 10yrs - I usually only fish it once a year for carp now. The fishing (at least IMO) seemed to go downhill with all the development and habitat restoration projects that have been going on down there. Also can get quite crowded down there now as most anglers are limited to the east side of the park - The rest of the marsh (at least where I used to fish) now has small fences in the water to protect the marsh plants from waterfowl and carp (I'm assuming). Also lots of snags around so bring spare terminal tackle. They close the gate at the entrance at night which kinda sucks too. My dad and I used to have our best carp fishing sessions there at night when most people went home.

Bring the bug spray during summer and dial 9-1 and have the finger on 1 so you can press it again...It's not exactly the safest place to be alone at night. :lol:

Thanks for the information MJL. I actually went there today before I posted. Someone told me there was pike there and being so close to home for me, I went. I threw a little cleo a few times and then got it snagged. I switched to floating rapala and kept pulling up weeds. The water was really murky and I couldn't see anything. I gave up but stuck around with my coffee to watch the anglers. After 2 hrs from when I got there and left, I only saw one bullhead caught. Do you know how big the pike, LMB or SMB population is? Is there any small steelies in there? Also, is there any salmon or even other trout there in the fall? I fish at the top of rogue river by swells and never see them. Do you have any tips of fishing there?