Hominy..any good for carp bait???

dave524

My wife is from the southern states, we were at Walmart looking in the grocery section and she picks up a couple of cans of this Hominy, kinda like half popped corn in salt water or kinda reminds me of drano cured single salmon eggs too. ( Actually I googled it and the process for making it is similar, yuck ) As far as food it really wasn't my cup of tea but kept thinking this would be dynamite carp bait, has anyone ever tried using it?

never even heard of it, but I googled it up and it looks like it would work.

They eat all sorts of things though, people catch them corn, tiger nut, chick peas and many more. As long as it's strong enough to stay on a hair rig or a hook, should be no problem.

Give it a shot and let us know!

Edited by Victor

Grits which is ground hominy is a standard carp bait in the southern states especially on Pay Lakes. It is used to pack around the hook. They put something else on the hook itself. I think canned hominy would work on a hair rig if it was firm enough to stay on the hair. I have to try it sometime. Which Walmart had it?

Walmart on Fourth Ave. in St. Catherines, the brand name was GOYA Golden Hominy.

I see you carp guys soak maize, this is like presoaked maize , actually the kernels are bigger

than normal, swollen and the hull is shed.