Nice day out for pike

l2p

...... okay well let me start off with, I didnt catch any pike.

was out from 2ish - 8 today, figure there should still be some hammer handles to play around with.

Well i was wrong, every single pike that i saw today was big and fat with the exeption of 1 smaller pike that

turned out to be one of two pike that i lost today. I dont thnk ive ever seen so many large pike in a day down at this spot,

but heres the catch. They were all just basking in the sun, not one of the atleast 30 fish that i saw today looked one bit interested in my lures

and i tried all of em! My guesses are they stuffed themselves when the minnows bloomed and now want nothing to do but sit and digest the food.

Oh well atleast they all looked healthy and fattened up compared to a couple weeks ago when they just finished spawning lol. Im sure it wont be long now til they shoot back out into the lake, water temps are deffinatly on the rise.

Now heres the awsome part, mid way through all the pike frustration i get a nice solid hit. Finally get some adrenaline running and this thing just went crazy back and forth from boat to boat. I already knew it wasnt a pike and could only be two things. Either i snaged a carp or a brown.

About 7 min into the fight i still havent seen the fish and by this point was almost certain that it was a brown since it was swimming way to fast to be a carp, it jumps and confirms my guess. After a 10 min battle and almost running me out of line twice i get the beauty 6-7 lb brown to shore. I also managed to catch the attention of a cruising rainbow trout with my rap but didnt feel like hitting it, aswell as another follow from a larger brown that also did not hit. Whatever 1 is enough to keep me satisfied, I just love it when these gems give ya a nice surprise, been 2 years since i caught one down at this spot.

Picture376.jpg

Picture375.jpg

couple pics and back in she goes!

Edited by l2p

Nice report and a beauty fish!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I've heard others say that the fish were shut down today too!

... I looked at the Solunar tables and the bite is on a downward trend until about Thursday... it looked like a nice day to be out on the water up there though! :Gonefishing:

That's awesome! I've noticed over the last few years a fair number of browns hanging around the piers and harbours with the pike while I'm fishing for carp...Never thought to go back with lures to get them.LOL

Beauty catch Mark

haha theres always a couple of browns cruising this certian marina at any given time of year, i once found my self fighting a 10 lbs CHROME chinook in the middle of june perch fishing with minnows... it inevitably broke off since i was using 6 lb main line on a short stuby 6'6 med light. just wasnt gona happen.. lol. anythings possible on lake ontario ;)