Hummingbird - Garden Shots & videos NF

Leecher

Well guys and gals, haven't been fishing much since trout opener but want to introduce you to my feathered friends..... them little critters been quite busy around the feeder in my back yard.... since it was a hot day, took the opportunity to plant vegetables in my garden.... what a beautiful day. They sure did not mind me sitting there and shooting with the camera....

Here is the first pic of a hummy feeding...

DSC01954.jpg

and in video mode...

th_MOV01955.jpg

then there was a couple of them...

th_MOV01945.jpg

As I was sitting there and watching, this other 4 legged friend came by....

DSC01956.jpg

Didn't know that they were eating weeds and dandelions....

Here is the video of Hector in one of my section of garden that is covered with weeds...

th_MOV01957.jpg

and another....

th_MOV01958.jpg

Man, I'll let him be for now.... cutting on my weeding time LOL

But he also did this hole underneath my other shed :blink:

DSC01959.jpg

Now to the garden shots.... first is where the carrots were planted

DSC01946.jpg

Then the tomatoes...

DSC01947.jpg

DSC01948.jpg

Then the sweet peppers next to the garlic that has been planted last fall and doing very well...

DSC01949.jpg

DSC01950.jpg

and last but not least the yellow beans....

DSC01951.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

Leechman

That was great Jacques!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I take it that Hector is a Groundhog?

It looks like you've got the raised bed gardening down to a science!!!

It looks like all the work is done now.. so get your :asshat: out there and go fishin'!!!

Paul and Kevin need someone to strap them severely!!! ;)

That was great Jacques!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I take it that Hector is a Groundhog?

It looks like you've got the raised bed gardening down to a science!!!

It looks like all the work is done now.. so get your :asshat: out there and go fishin'!!!

Paul and Kevin need someone to strap them severely!!! ;)

Thanks Glen!!!! Hector is in deed a groundhog.... I think it's the same one as last year... he surely got a lot more greyish this season..... He's a huge dude LOL

The raised beds are so easy to care for and a lot less maintenance..... I prefer it to a big open area...

My work is all done now and will try and get into a few fishies in the near future.

Tell me G, have you been out to the lake of yours???

Jacques

Man , That garlic smells good ;):wub::wub:

Looks like Hummy likes both sides of the fence......

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk227/b...fe/May17372.jpg

Don't forget about Operation ....... Leechman hooks into his first Musky is soon coming up :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

Yeah Paul.... Hummy's been going back and forth all day long today from what I can see.... Great pics of it :clapping:

Musky hunting coming soon.... end of June :thumbsup_anim:

I've read that.... Is it really that bad??

What you been prepping in the yard of yours??

It's a very sad song that goes a little something like this Jacques... ;)

I think it was around the 25th of April, I had the bright idea that I should till up my front yard, reshape, and reseed it. :rolleyes:

I had just put my boat in the shop because the motor was screwing up on me and they told me it'd be a 2 week wait, I figured 2 weeks tops I can have the yard tilled, reshaped, and reseeded... then I can go fishing when the boat is fixed!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: (little did I know!!!)

The first 3 days went well with warm temps and sunny skies! Then it started to rain... and rain... and rain some more. I worked on the yard when I could, the rain was kind of good at the beginning because it softened up the "rock hard" untilled ground... but made mush out of what had already been tilled.

Time passes by and I'm working on the yard and the boat repair shop calls. It seems the idiots I payed a small fortune to last year to rebuild my carbs failed to vacuum synchronize them (the Tech said the factory paint wasn't cracked on the fitting to hook it up to the machine). He tells me it's $120 to do the job and I can pick it up that evening. I gave him the go ahead and picked it up that eve, 12 days after I dropped it off... and the yard is nowhere finished! :angry:

The boat runs great now, I haven't had it out.. but I cranked it in the driveway.

It has been exactly a month since I started the yard and I'm only half finished. I have it 90% tilled upbut can't shape it because of the rain and mud!

It's a 9000 square foot area of mudhole!

A couple of pics:

DSC01757.jpg

DSC01762.jpg

I've had to recompact the dirt to keep the rain from turning it to mush and so the rain water will run off... which means I will have to retill it when it dries out so I can shape and seed it! The tilling will be easier this time though.... are you crying yet?

... but on a happier note. While I had the tiller running, I tilled up a small veggie garden on the side of the back yard.

Just a small strip 4' wide by 56' long:

DSC01755.jpg

4 different types of tomatoes, 3 hills of Yellow Straightneck Squash (bush variety), 3 hills of Zucchini Squash (bush variety), 8 linear feer of Burpless Cucumbers, and 8 linear feet of Sweet Bell Peppers! :P

... btw?.. do you remember those Bird houses I got from you?

DSC01765.jpg

Each house has a pair of Bluebirds nesting in it!... and since I hung them up, it's like I put up a huge flashing billboard that says welcome to BIRDVILLE!!!

I now have a pair of Eastern Pheobes nesting on my downspout on the front of the house.

DSC01741.jpg

The Barn Swallows are nesting on the back of my house!

DSC01752.jpg

.. and if that isn't enough! I had a family of Killdeers move in when I started tilling the yard! A Momma, a Daddy, and a Baby. They follow behind the tiller and eat the fresh bugs and worms that're tilled up.

They liked it here so much that they built a nest in my landscaping in the front yard!

DSC01759.jpg

Do you see the speckled eggs? The rocks were tilled up out of the yard and I set them there to pick up later... now I won't move them until the eggs hatch.

This is the Momma Killdeer.

DSC01760.jpg

She was trying to lure me away from the nest when I took the pic, they don't like it much when I walk around... but aren't a bit afraid of me when I'm on the tractor and will come whithin 3 feet of me!

Edited by GCD

:w00t: :w00t: Look at the size of your yard.... not a small undertaking that's for sure :wallbash:

Mother nature has a sick sense of humour sometimes and hope that now, you have some type of relief from the rain.

On the first pic, I see your truck in the driveway.... on the other side, the untilled area, is it your property??

Great work on the garden.... I take it it's facing south so that it gets full sun.

I'm real glad that the bird houses are occupied with blue birds and that they like it but I'm in no way responsible for the other species that are using your property for nesting grounds LOL yes I can see the eggs of the killdeer B)

Hope that you're getting near the end of your landscaping duties so that you can go out fishing and enjoy a day out on the water with your now repaired boat... Do me a favor next time you want to till something on your yard.... wait til you are in the dead fishing season, that way if you encounter some unforeseen difficulties it won't cut into your fishing schedule ;)

Jacques

On the first pic, I see your truck in the driveway.... on the other side, the untilled area, is it your property??... my property only goes about 20' past the other side of the driveway, the rest is another lot that hasn't sold yet.

Great work on the garden.... I take it it's facing south so that it gets full sun.... the garden is actually facing east to catch the morning sun, I choose that side because of the morning sun, and the fact the fence will provide shade from the blistering afternoon heat and the harsh winds we get from the west in the summer, that side of the fence gets about 7 or 8 hours of direct sunlight a day during the summer months.. I plan on tilling up a section on the south side of the fence for my winter vegetable garden this year, we can grow stuff like onions, carrots, brocolli, collard greens and the likes all winter long here.

I'm real glad that the bird houses are occupied with blue birds and that they like it but I'm in no way responsible for the other species that are using your property for nesting grounds LOL yes I can see the eggs of the killdeer B)... well all these other birds didn't start coming around until I hung up your bird houses... I think you have the magic touch with the birds ;)

Hope that you're getting near the end of your landscaping duties so that you can go out fishing and enjoy a day out on the water with your now repaired boat... Do me a favor next time you want to till something on your yard.... wait til you are in the dead fishing season, that way if you encounter some unforeseen difficulties it won't cut into your fishing schedule ;)... spring is just about the dead fishing season for me because of the rains that bring the high muddy water, I do my best catching in the summer, fall, and winter months... the weather is supposed to clear off after this week... so, a couple weeks after that and I should be finished with the yard... it should look real nice by the end of the summer and for many years to come... I hope! :)

Jacques

Cool pics and vids Jacques

Is that just sugar water you're feeding the humming birds? I've always wanted to try setting up one of those feeders in my backyard next to the window so I can photograph them.

Neat veggie garden too. The raccoons and rabbits always ended up eating my greenies before I got a chance to :lol:

Cool pics and vids Jacques

Is that just sugar water you're feeding the humming birds? I've always wanted to try setting up one of those feeders in my backyard next to the window so I can photograph them.

Neat veggie garden too. The raccoons and rabbits always ended up eating my greenies before I got a chance to :lol:

Thanks Mike!!! I use Perky-Pet Instant Nectar Concentrate in powder form for my feeder and the little guys love it. You can buy it at Rona, it's only $2.69 for a small 8OZ box... you don't need to boil it and is very fast to make. On the other hand, I sometimes use a home recipe consisting of regular white sugar and water....

Here is the recipe for this one:

1/4 part sugar for 3/4 part water but you must boil it for a couple of minutes then let it sit to cool down and serve.

It is recommended to change your feeder every four days so that the nectar or home recipe is fresh and they will keep on coming back year after year once they discover it.

I have 3 of them coming and sometimes fight for the feeder.... real funny to see.... that is how I got the videos of them. I only setup my feeder this past Saturday because I almost got attack by them.... my hat is red and black and 3 times I had them in my face about a few inches away before they realize it wasn't food LOL

Wish you luck with them if you ever setup a feeder.... they are quite beautiful to watch.

Thanks again Mike!

Jacques