Water Discharge from 50 Horse Motor

PeterG

I recently purchased a used 50 hp four stroke motor. The motor appears in good shape and I know the previous owner, he took good care of his stuff. When I start the motor I do get a reasonable --although maybe a tad slow--stream of water from the telltale on the motor. Once I'm underway however, I notice the stream slows down considerably. Pretty soon I'm just getting a few drops. The motor seems to be running fine and the temperature alarm has not sounded, so there doesn't seem to be issues with overheating. I've been told to clean the discharge port with a wire as it may be clogged -- which I have yet to try-- but I wonder why I would get a stream of discharge in idle and not while I'm moving. Any ideas/advice appreciated!

On my 115 4 stroke Merc, I noticed the same thing after being in shallow muddy or mucky water. On mine, I can attach a garden hose directly where the tell tale stream comes out to back flush it and after doing that, it worked fine. Failing that, I would change the impeller because you should always have a good stream coming out at any setting. Alarms only go off when you're close to catastrophic failure so I wouldn't rely on that alone.

Good luck,

Peter