Muskie Trolling Question

Sebastian

Like most of you, I`m already getting shaky for the upcoming muskie season. I plan on setting up soon and was interested in trying something different this year. I noticed a lot of muskie guys run the Down Easters and when trolling they point them down with the rod tip in the water with the clicker on the reel. Why is that? Any preference over leaving them even with or above the boat? I plan on fishing G Bay most of the year so any help would be appreciated.

Rod tip collects the weeds... instead of it going down the line to the bait.

What Wayne said, also, you can run a much shorter line with your rod tip in the water. In most cases you never have to have more than 15' of line out.

I think they call it the down rod....not only for weeds but they put the bait very close to the prop.....musky on St.Clair hit in the prop wash all the time......if you want more info on this PM Outlaw, one of the best musky hunters in our area and the maker of the best bait on the lake, Woodies.

Chrispy!

Definitely run the Down East roldholders. If you haven't seen all the amazing ways you can set them up take a look at Dave Dutchak's site (http://www.trojantackle.ca/) Dave is an awesome guy and he can make anything to your specs. Burying the rods is the best way to keep weeds from fouling your bait as mentioned and to keep big blades/spinnerbaits down and short.

Johnny Dadson

www.johnnydadson.com

most of us do that for weeds. but to control a bait in positio on the corner wash is good. we will use a weight then a leader . this controls the down rod postion. the next rodholder holds a rod with a 4 and 40 setup. thats 4 ounces and 40 ft of line out. this covers the back of the boat. then planer boards outword. . with a 4 man crew in some regions you can run 2 rods per man. the same as salmon fishing on l. ontario or erie.