Trailer Tires

evster

I have a small little boat trailer which carries a barebones 14 foot aluminum boat and a 9.9 motor. So not much weight. The tires on the thing right now are 5.20 - 10. I want to replace them both, one is completely flat and the other one should probably be replaced as well. I'd also like to replace the rims. Problem is, I have checked both princess auto, canadian tire and another trailer part shop and none of them carry 10 inch rims and tires. Its either 8 or 12.

First off, does anyone know of a place that might carry 10 inch 4 bolt rims and tires?

Second, should I be able to get away with an 8 inch rim? The tire is only about an inch and a half from the fender so I don't think the 12 inch will be an option.

Any input is much appreciated.

Guest skeeter99
I have a small little boat trailer which carries a barebones 14 foot aluminum boat and a 9.9 motor. So not much weight. The tires on the thing right now are 5.20 - 10. I want to replace them both, one is completely flat and the other one should probably be replaced as well. I'd also like to replace the rims. Problem is, I have checked both princess auto, canadian tire and another trailer part shop and none of them carry 10 inch rims and tires. Its either 8 or 12.

First off, does anyone know of a place that might carry 10 inch 4 bolt rims and tires?

Second, should I be able to get away with an 8 inch rim? The tire is only about an inch and a half from the fender so I don't think the 12 inch will be an option.

Any input is much appreciated.

wal mart were I live has good selection on trailer tires take a look

or just go to a trailer sales place if there is any in your area and they will probably have what u need

and if you can get away with it always go with the bigger tire, it will last/wear longer due to its size

think about those little donut trailer tires they go around 3.5 to 4 times more than your car tire, 100 km is almost 400 on those puppies

Edited by skeeter99

I had the same problem a few years back. My tires were quite old & a size not common any more.

Rim size does not always correspond to tire height.

My old tires were: 6.90/6.00 X 9 and were 20" high.

Replaced with: 5.30 X 12 that are 20" high.

To order the older tires it was going to be over $100 each.

New tires & rims IIRC was $70 each.

It was far cheaper get new tires & rims.

Go with the largest tire height you can, it will decrease tire & bearing wear.

Also ensure the weight ratings on your tires is suitable.

Rick