SMALL VESSELS

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releases/nat/2009/09-h061e.htm

No. H 061/09

For release - April 24, 2009

BAIRD INTRODUCES PROPOSED NEW REGULATIONS FOR SMALL VESSELS

OTTAWA — Canada's Transport Minister, John Baird, today introduced proposed new Small Vessel Regulations to better regulate the safety of small vessels and improve public safety.

The proposed regulations include new requirements to enhance current safety equipment, vessel construction and some operational requirements for pleasure craft and small commercial vessels. They also introduce renewable pleasure craft licences in order to improve the accuracy of licence information for search and rescue purposes.

"The goal of these regulations is to reduce fatalities, injuries, and property damage resulting from small vessel accidents and incidents in Canada," said Minister Baird.

The Small Vessel Regulations are being updated in order to:

better reflect the nature of the small vessel fleet in Canada;

ensure consistency with international standards;

incorporate new requirements to enhance safety; and

provide alternatives for the construction and stability of small vessels.

New processes for certification of small vessel construction will now be simplified and more consistent with those of the United States and Europe. This will give more flexibility to manufacturers to adjust their production with market demand. The proposed regulations also harmonize the construction requirements for pleasure craft and non–pleasure vessels of up to 6 metres in length.

These regulatory changes are in line with the objectives of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 which include protection of the health and well–being of individuals; promotion of safety in marine transportation and recreational boating; and encouragement of viable, effective and economical marine transportation, commerce, and recreational boating.

The proposed regulations will be published in the Canada Gazette, Part I on April 25, 2009. A 30–day comment period follows, during which interested parties may provide their views to Transport Canada. After consideration of all comments received, Transport Canada will make any necessary changes before final approval and publication in the Canada Gazette, Part II, at which time the regulations will come into force.

- 30 -

Contacts:

Chris Day

Press Secretary

Office of Transport Minister John Baird, Ottawa

613-991-0700

Media Relations

Transport Canada, Ottawa

613-993-0055

Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to news releases and speeches at www.tc.gc.ca/listserv/ and keep up-to-date on the latest from Transport Canada.

This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons with visual disabilities.

WOW, our Conservative Boys are actually doing some thing. Too Bad the weak and IDLE are always crying. Im Glad that I figure im with the stronger Group, not the Weak

..and if the "weak & IDLE" were the ones proposing the changes, would you sing the same tune? How about they tighten up the fact that you can rent a boat and do that dockside checklist to be deemed a safe operator but those of us who have owned & piloted boats for years need the card?

..and if the "weak & IDLE" were the ones proposing the changes, would you sing the same tune? How about they tighten up the fact that you can rent a boat and do that dockside checklist to be deemed a safe operator but those of us who have owned & piloted boats for years need the card?

I hear you well. But unfortunately, it takes a few bad apples to make us all pay for their mistakes. I know, I also have to pay for an Operaters Licence. Now, theres a Cash Grab. Whos Idea was that, and of course I dont see how thats made our lives on the water any Safer. Like the Gun Laws

2nd time this has been posted and we're already on the (useless) boaters card. This new regulation, proposal, has nothing to do with the boaters card. Note it is still a proposal. It has to go thru the Gazette twice to be law. If you're so worried about it.. public consoltation(sp) has to be accepted after the first run thru the Gazette. Maybe if enough "jumped" on it in writting to their MP's... it won't see second printing/reading.

Edited by irishfield

Its still going to be hard to weed out the Putzes on the water.

Im all for tightening things up

bring on a 2 day course for boater 85 % mandatory mark no exceptions pratical and written

A $100 000 boat does not make anyone a boater I could make you a menace

common sense rules always

Kudos to the Government Im glad they have TEETH!!!!!!!